Personal Finance: Consumer Protection
ALA Recommended Books
American Library Association. Financial Literacy in Public Libraries: A Guide for Building Collections.
My thanks go to ALA for inventing this wheel for me.
CFPB's list of financial educational resources
- Better Business Bureau A resource for finding businesses that uphold best practices and standards for customer service and or quality.
- CFPB Consumer Complaint Portal Instructions for submitting a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau about an array of financial products and services.
- Consumer Action Handbook Free handbook covering consumer tips and rights, with information about consumer protection offices maintained by government agencies.
- Consumer Complaint Database A database from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau that tracks anonymous consumer complaints.
- Eldercare Locator A resource from the U.S. Administration on Aging that helps families looking for eldercare assistance across the United States.
- Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information Starting point for consumer information from the Federal Trade Commission.
- Fraud Protection Tools to Help Safeguard Servicemembers Fraud protection resources for active-duty personnel and their family members from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- How to Avoid Fraud A primer on investment fraud prevention from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) A site for reporting suspicious activities to the FBI.
- Investor Alerts Timely and reliable investor alerts from FINRA.
- NASAA Fraud Center Investor protection information from the North American Securities Administrators Association.
- National Center on Elder Abuse A federal agency offering guidance to prevent financial and other forms of senior abuse.
- OnGuardOnline.gov A federal government website dedicated to online safety.
- Protect Your Money FINRA’s tools and guidance to help recognize and avoid financial fraud and scams.
- SaveAndInvest.org, Fraud Center Interactive tools, games, and information from the FINRA Foundation to counter fraud tactics.
- Scams & Safety An FBI site to help consumers avoid victimization.
- State Consumer Protection Offices A convenient list of state-level consumer protection offices.
- U.S. Consumer Protection Basics Easy-to-understand U.S. Government information on various consumer protection topics related to personal finance.
- Ask and Check Essential information and interactive utilities to help investors avoid fraud.
- Aviation Consumer Protection Information from the U.S. Department of Transportation about filing civil rights and consumer complaints against airlines.
- Dealing with Your Insurance Company: How to Protect Yourself Consumer protection information related to buying insurance and filing claims.
- FDIC Consumer Protection Information Consumer protection information from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, a federal agency charged with maintaining stability in the nation’s financial system.
- Investor’s Guide to Securities Industry Disputes Information from the Pace Law School Investor Rights Clinic about preventing and resolving a dispute with a broker. Describes the arbitration and mediation processes.
- National Consumer Law Center NCLC’s “For Consumers” section offers consumer education brochures, as well as information about how to get legal assistance for consumer issues.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Complaint and Appeals Process Complaints and appeals instructions from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Includes information about the complaint processes for Medicare and the Food and Drug Administration.