Personal Finance: Insurance
- Auto Insurance U.S. government resources for car repairs and car insurance.
- FloodSmart.gov National Flood Insurance Program information from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Healthcare.gov Starting point for federal health insurance options.
- Health Care Coverage for Students Options for healthcare coverage for teens and college students, from healthcare.gov.
- Health Insurance Options Health Insurance information from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Home Owner’s Insurance An overview of a basic home owner’s insurance policy.
- Insurance Commissioners A link map leading to each state’s insurance commissioner.
- Insurance Overview Insurance overview from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
- InsureKidsNow.gov Commonly asked question on low-cost health insurance for children.
- Life Insurance Guide A useful overview of life insurance from the California Department of Insurance.
- LongTermCare.gov Long-term healthcare resources from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Medicaid Government health insurance option for low-income individuals.
- Medicare The federal health insurance option for those 65 or older.
- Property Insurance U.S. government resources about different forms of property insurance.
- Renter’s Insurance An overview of renter’s insurance.
- Smart About Money—Insurance A basic self-paced courses from the National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE).
- Tips on Marketplace Insurance Useful guide to help with obtaining marketplace insurance from Healthcare.gov.
American Library Association. Financial Literacy in Public Libraries: A Guide for Building Collections.
My thanks go to ALA for inventing this wheel for me.
Thrall Library's Links for Investors.
CFPB's list of financial educational resources
ALA Recommended Books
- Get What's Yours for Medicare by A coauthor of the New York Times bestselling guide to Social Security Get What’s Yours authors an essential companion to explain Medicare, the nation’s other major benefit for older Americans. Learn how to maximize your health coverage and save money. Social Security provides the bulk of most retirees’ income and Medicare guarantees them affordable health insurance. But few people know what Medicare covers and what it doesn’t, what it costs, and when to sign up. Nor do they understand which parts of Medicare are provided by the government and how these work with private insurance plans—Medicare Advantage, drug insurance, and Medicare supplement insurance. Do you understand Medicare’s parts A, B, C, D? Which Part D drug plan is right and how do you decide? Which is better, Medigap or Medicare Advantage? What do you do if Medicare denies payment for a procedure that your doctor says you need? How do you navigate the appeals process for denied claims? If you’re still working or have a retiree health plan, how do those benefits work with Medicare? Do you know about the annual enrollment period for Medicare, or about lifetime penalties for late enrollment, or any number of other key Medicare rules? Health costs are the biggest unknown expense for older Americans, who are turning sixty-five at the rate of 10,000 a day. Understanding and navigating Medicare is the best way to save health care dollars and use them wisely. In Get What’s Yours for Medicare, retirement expert Philip Moeller explains how to understand all these important choices and make the right decisions for your health and wealth now—and for the future.Call Number: 368.426 MOEISBN: 9781501124006Publication Date: 2016
- Healthcare Made Easy by An easy-to-understand guide to the Affordable Care Act! Written by ABC World News' Real Money expert and healthcare advocate Michelle Katz, Healthcare Made Easy is the ultimate resource for understanding and navigating the Affordable Care Act. Using simple and easy-to-follow language, she answers important questions about the ACA, such as: Are there any exemptions to buying insurance under the Affordable Care Act? What is the new "80/20 Rule"? And what exactly is the Early Retiree Reinsurance Program? What does the ACA mean for small businesses? What benefits must you offer and what are the tax breaks? What is covered for your children under the new CHIP laws? How can you get pharmaceutical companies to lower your prescription costs? With the expert advice in Healthcare Made Easy, you will learn how to get the most out of your healthcare plan without having to sacrifice your needs or empty your pockets. "Here is a guide, a map through the maze of healthcare decisions facing us all. Michelle has helped a lot of families. She is a champion of the consumer. A truly informed advocate." --Diane Sawyer "Michelle breaks down complicated laws and insurance regulations to make them understandable to everyone. She provides you with a road map to getting the best healthcare at the most affordable prices." --Tavis Smiley, Author, Television and Radio HostCall Number: RCLSISBN: 9781440580192Publication Date: 2014
- Medicare for Dummies by Make the most of Medicare More than 55.5 million people today are Medicare beneficiaries. Medicare for Dummies, 3rd Edition, addresses the complexities of Medicare and helps those eligible for benefits maneuver the complicated claims process. With the easy-to-follow, comprehensive guidance in this book, you can determine which coverage option is right for you and begin learning your rights today. Discover how Medicare works Evaluate various policy benefits Prepare for policy changes Gain specific medical counseling Understand insurance under the ACA Know your rights and protections Determine the best policy for youCall Number: 368.426 BARISBN: 9781119348870Publication Date: Multiple editions
- Your Best Health Care Now by Inspired by his viral New York Times article, prize-winning investigative journalist Frank Lalli details how he mastered the ins and outs of health care--and how you, too, can get the best care for your money. Frank Lalli, the former editor of Money and George magazines, has devoted his career to getting to the bottom of a good story. When he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a rare but potentially deadly blood cancer, he put his reporter's instincts to work and got the wonder drug he needed at an affordable price--thousands of dollars less than he was told he would have to spend. Amazed by the complex and arbitrary nature of the health care system, he decided to share what he has learned as his own Health Care Detective so that others can find their best care and save money, too. Based on three years of research and more than 300 first-hand interviews with experts, Your Best Health Care Now is your easy-to-follow, real-world guide to making today's health system work for you. You'll learn all the smart moves and timely tips to get better care and save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars--no matter what your concerns may be. Whether you're trying to book a free check-up or negotiate with a surgeon, looking for an effective generic drug or the best price for a brand-name, or worrying about high insurance deductibles and rising premiums or a stack of surprise bills, Your Best Health Care Now has the answers you need to take charge of your wellbeing.Call Number: 338.4736 LALISBN: 9781501132865Publication Date: 2016
- Long-Term Care by Get the best care, in the right place, at the right price To find the right kind of long-term care, you may need to make difficult personal, medical, and financial decisions during emotionally tough times. Long-Term Care helps you and your family understand the range of available choices. Even more important, it guides you toward the best care you can afford. You'll learn how to: explore your options for home care, assisted living, and nursing homes get the most out of Medicaid, Medicare, and veterans' programs evaluate whether long-term care insurance is worth the significant expense consider the special needs of loved ones with dementia or Alzheimer's, and protect your loved ones from elder fraud. This award winner 12th edition is completely updated with the latest long-term care costs, Medicaid rules, and resources.Call Number: 362.16 MAT 2014ISBN: 9781413325539Publication Date: 2018 + older editions
- Social Security 101 by A crash course in retirement benefits! Too often, writing about social security turns the noteworthy details of the benefits into boring details about regulations or biased political arguments that would put even a die-hard bureaucrat to sleep. Social Security 101 cuts out the tedious explanations and instead provides a hands-on lesson that keeps you engaged as you learn all you need to know about the federal program that's been around since the Great Depression. From the history of social security to its likely role in the future, this primer is packed with hundreds of entertaining tidbits and concepts that will keep you engaged as you learn how to maximize your benefits. So whether you want to learn about calculating your retirement age or estimating your projected payments, Social Security 101 has all the answers--even the ones you didn't know you were looking for.Call Number: 368.43 MILISBN: 9781440599224Publication Date: 2016