Personal Finance: College
ALA Recommended Books
- Choosing a Vocational School An overview of vocational schools from the Federal Trade Commission.
- College Cost Calculator Determine estimated costs and expenses of college by using this calculator.
- College Reality Check This resource from the Chronicle of Higher Education and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation shares facts and figures that can help students and their families with higher education decisions.
- FAFSA The starting point for obtaining financial aid.
- FAFSA Guide A guide for filling out the FAFSA by Creditloan.com
- Federal Student Aid Detailed information about federal student aid—from getting ready to apply to repaying student loans.
- Paying for College Resource to help make decisions about financing college from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Scholarship Finder A site sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor to search for scholarship opportunities.
- Student Budget Calculator A calculator to assist students in budgeting from Creditloan.com.
- Student Loan Repayment Estimator A calculator from the U.S. Department of Education to help borrowers compare different repayment plans.
- Tips for Choosing College Savings Options Information compiled by FINRA for choosing college savings plans.
- Understanding Net Price A primer from the U.S. Department of Education and a tool to locate net price calculators.
- 529 College Savings Plan Expense Analyzer This tool calculates and compares the costs for various 529 college savings plans. A 529 plan has fees and expenses that are paid by investors.
- College Possible A program that helps low-income students prepare for college and navigate the admissions and financial aid processes.
- College Savings Plans Network An affiliate of the National Association of State Treasurers that serves as an information clearinghouse for state-administered college savings programs.
- Education Benefits for Veterans Information and tools from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs about education and training benefits available to veterans.
- For Servicemembers: Tackling Student Loan Debt A guide created by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to assist servicemembers with student loan issues.
- Paying for College A select list of financial aid information resources compiled by the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
- Smart Saving for College—Better Buy Degrees A resource from FINRA, particularly strong on 529 plans and other tax-advantaged options for meeting college costs.
American Library Association. Financial Literacy in Public Libraries: A Guide for Building Collections.
My thanks go to ALA for inventing this wheel for me.
CFPB's list of financial educational resources