Personal Finance: Home
ALA Recommended Books
- The Index Card by In The Index Card, Helaine Olen and Harold Pollack draw on years of experience researching and reporting on financial lives to present an accessible, one-stop guide to taking back your financial future. Beyond outlining rules for financial success, the authors also explain why so few people follow them. The answers to healthy finance, it turns out, are simple enough to fit on an index card. Armed with The Index Card, readers will gain the tools, knowledge and confidence to make the right decisions regarding their money.Call Number: 332.024 OLEISBN: 9781591847687Publication Date: 2016
- The 10 Commandments of Money by From the #1 personal finance columnist on the Internet (Nielsen/NetRatings)-a clear prescription for financial health in the 2010s and beyond. For previous generations, living within your means was a simple formula. Now, with the staggering rise in education, health care, and housing costs, millions of people find themselves skating from paycheck to paycheck with no idea how to move forward. As the most-read personal finance columnist on the Internet, Liz Weston has heard the questions and has the answers. Her 10 Commandments of Money will help readers avoid critical mistakes, survive the bad times, and thrive in the good ones. Just a few of Weston's invaluable pointers include how to: * Balance Your Budget * Pay Down Toxic Debt * Get the Right Mortgage * Pay for College * Save for Retirement * Maximize Your Financial Flexibility Liz Weston's goal is to provide THE practical guide to the brave new world of money. What Sylvia Porter's Money Book was to the 1970s, The 10 Commandments of Money will be for the 2010s. Watch a VideoCall Number: 332.024 WESISBN: 9781594630743Publication Date: 2011
- Generation Earn by Kimberly Palmer, the Alpha Consumer columnist for US News & World Report, frequently receives questions from twenty-, thirty-, and forty-something readers like you about making smart, sustainable life choices, including- What should I be doing with my savings? Should I take on freelance jobs? Where should I invest my money? Should I buy a house or keep renting? Does it make sense to share a mortgage with my significant other? Can I afford a baby? How can I support the causes I believe in? Should I start a nonprofit? n Generation Earn, Palmer answers these questions and many more in three parts. Part one centers on the self, covering professional goals, personal spending, debt management, and investing. Part two focuses on creating a home, including renting, mortgages, marriage, and sCall Number: RCLSISBN: 9781580082365Publication Date: 2010
- Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich by Tired of worrying about your financial situation but aren't sure what to do or where to start? Stop stressing! No matter how much you earn (or how much you owe) you can take control of your money--and it won't be nearly as hard as you think. Millions of people already benefit from the expert advice Laura D. Adams dispenses in her weekly Money Girl podcast and know firsthand that little changes can lead to big rewards. Laura doesn't tell you what you can and can not buy with your own hard-earned money; instead, she gives you guidance, tips, and tricks you need to make the most of it by finding out how to: - Assess your current financial situation and set achievable, realistic goals - Get out of debt faster--and stay out for good - Manage your 401(k) or Roth IRA like a pro - Take advantage of every available tax deduction to owe less and save more - Choose smarter investments so you can watch your money grow - Use the most up-to-date technology to make managing your money much easier Whether you're learning the quickest way to improve your credit score or the seven essential tips for preventing identity theft, you'll be surprised--and relieved--at just how doable it all is. Chock-full of quick and dirty tips that explain what you need to know without bogging you down with what you don't,Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich will ensure you have the kind of life you want and the future you've always dreamed of. Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich won the prestigious Excellence in Financial Literary Education (EIFLE) Award for 2011.Call Number: RCLSISBN: 9780312662622Publication Date: 2010
- Your Money and Your Life by Your financial health is more than a mere collection of debits and credits on a balance sheet. In fact, the numbers on a financial statement represent a series of decisions that, if made strategically, can ensure that each of us maintains our desired standard of living at every age and stage of life. Many people think that key financial choices are too complicated to make on their own. However, with the right information and guidance, we can all secure our own financial future. Your Money and Your Life is more than your average guide to financial planning and retirement. Acclaimed author and speaker Robert Z. Aliber helps readers to make efficient and effective financial decisions at key moments throughout their lives, such as where to go to college; if and when to buy a home; how much insurance, if any, to buy; how to manage savings and retirement; when the time is right to approach a professional advisor; and how to proceed with estate planning. With an eye toward the issues that are most pressing in today's economy, Aliber clearly explains the sophisticated concepts that underpin everyday money management--with the goal of making this guide the go-to reference in your financial planning library, regardless of your age or wealth. Readers of this book will come away with the sense that Aliber is their own financial planner, offering strategies that will help to guide them toward security in the present and the future. Your Money and Your Life is filled with examples to which readers will be able to relate, as well as checklists of "actionables" to help make their plans realities.Call Number: RCLSISBN: 9780804748537Publication Date: 2010
- Making Money Simple by Simplify your financial life and ensure financial success into the future Feeling paralyzed by the overwhelming number of complex decisions you need to make with your money? You don't need to be an expert to achieve financial freedom. You just need a framework that makes the right choices simple and easy to make. Making Money Simple provides that much-needed process so you can get on the right track to long-term financial security. This valuable resource provides a solid foundation for all the nuanced personal finance decisions you need to make as you go through your career, hit major life milestones, and look to grow wealth. It's a blueprint for financial achievement--even through tough-to-navigate situations where there are no clear-cut rules. After you read Making Money Simple, you'll be able to create your personal plan for success using proven wealth management methods and real-world financial strategies. From basic financial principles to advanced investing techniques, you'll get comprehensive coverage of fundamental financial topics with easy-to-follow advice from author Peter Lazaroff, who draws from his expertise as the Chief Investment Officer of a multi-billion-dollar wealth management firm to give you the tools you need to simplify your financial situation and make the right moves at every opportunity. Getting your finances in order doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't require fancy, convoluted investment strategies. Nor does it require keeping track of detailed spreadsheets. You just need this step-by-step process to get your financial house in order and keep it that way forever. It doesn't matter what your specific situation is. We all need to understand our money--and what to do with it. Making Money Simple shows you how to: ● Develop clear financial goals and plan for your future ● Understand the three crucial elements of building a strong financial house ● Implement effective investment strategies to grow your wealth and avoid costly mistakes ● Learn ten smart questions to ask when hiring financial professionals For those seeking to secure a solid financial future, Making Money Simple: A Complete Guide to Getting Your Financial House in Order and Keeping It That Way Forever is the roadmap to get you there. Call Number: 332.024 LAZISBN: 9781119537878Publication Date: 2019
- What Matters Most: The GYST Guide to WIlls, Money, Insurance and Life's "What Ifs" by Founder of popular website Get Your Shit Together blends personal story and must-have advice in the ultimate guide to getting your affairs in order--from wills and advance directives to insurance, finances, and relationships--before the unthinkable happens. On July 17, 2009, Chanel Reynolds' husband, José, was struck by a car while cycling near their home in Seattle. In the wake of her husband's untimely death, Reynolds quickly realized that she was completely unprepared for what came next. What was the password to his phone? Did they sign their wills? How much insurance did they have? Could she afford the house? And what the hell was probate anyway? Simply put, when life went sideways she didn't have her shit together. As it turns out, most of us don't either. We're too busy, in denial, overwhelmed by too much information, uncertain where to start, or just uncomfortable having those difficult conversations. Reynolds learned the hard way that hoping for the best is not a plan, but you don't have to. Drawing on her first-hand experience, expert advice, and the unparalleled resources she's compiled for her celebrated website, Reynolds lends a human voice to a warren of checklists and forms and emotional confusion, showing readers how to: Create a will and living will Update (or finally get) the right life insurance policy Start or grow an emergency fund Make a watertight emergency plan Keep secure, up-to-date records of personal information Authoritative yet personal, grounded but irreverent, Reynolds' voice carries readers through a tough subject with candor and compassion. Weaving personal story with hard-won wisdom, What Matters Most is the approachable, no-nonsense handbook we all need to living a life free of worry and "what ifs."Call Number: 332.024 REYISBN: 9780062689436Publication Date: 2019
American Library Association. Financial Literacy in Public Libraries: A Guide for Building Collections.
My thanks go to ALA for inventing this wheel for me.
Thrall Library's Links for Investors.
CFPB's list of financial educational resources
Ask CFPB Frequently asked questions about money with responses from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
MyMoney.gov Resources and tools from 20 federal government agencies organized per the “MyMoney Five”: earn; borrow; save and invest; spend; protect.
- Adult Personal Finance A series of videos created by the Education Development Center to help English language learners improve essential money management skills and knowledge.
- Econlowdown Free teaching resources about economics, personal finance, and money from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Personal Finance Course A personal finance course from edX, a MOOC platform established in 2012 by Harvard University and MIT. The course is free, but the certificate has a cost of $49.
- Save and Invest—Military Personal finance resources from the FINRA Foundation for military service members and their families.
- State Treasurers’ Offices Contact information for each state treasurer’s office.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Services The Cooperative Extension System is a nationwide, continuing education network with offices staffed by experts on personal finance and other topics.
- Consumer.gov Managing Your Money; Credit Loans and Debt; and Scams and Identity Theft.
- Good Financial Cents
- Practical Money Skills Visa believes that greater financial knowledge can empower people to better manage their money and improve their quality of life. Through partnerships with state and national governments, leading consumer advocates, educators and financial institutions, Visa has developed an award-winning global program. Practical Money Skills offers interactive tools and educational resources to help individuals and communities build stronger financial futures.
- 360 Degrees of Financial Literacy A free public service brought to you by the nation's CPAs