People of color have been members of Warwick's churches and faith community since they were first established. In some denominations, such as the Dutch Reformed, Presbyterian, and Old School Baptist, a separate area such as the upper gallery was designated for servants and slaves.
One church in particular has been a focus of faith for the Black community, since the early 19th century, the UAME church on McEwen Street. which was founded in the winter of 1904-1905.
This photo shows the church prior to World War 1
The congregation eventually grew out of the small frame church, which was rescued and moved by the community and the Warwick Historical Society, and moved intact to its present home on Forester Avenue.