Online Databases: Science & Health
- VetNow for Veterans - Valley CottageOur Brainfuse VetNow navigators help veterans and their families understand and apply for the benefits they are eligible for from local, state, or federal programs. From housing and health care to education, mental health, and more, Brainfuse VetNow navigators are ready to help.
Funded by the Ramapo Catskill Library System.
CLICK TO ACCESS FROM HOME:
- Biomed CentralBMC has an evolving portfolio of some 300 peer-reviewed journals, sharing discoveries from research communities in science, technology, engineering and medicine. In 1999 we made high quality research open to everyone who needed to access it.
- Drug Information PortalThe National Library of Medicine Drug Information Portal gives users a gateway to selected drug information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and other key U.S. Government agencies.
- Guide to U.S. Health and Health Care PolicyThirty topical essays investigate the fundamental political, social, economic, and procedural initiatives that drive health and health care policy decisions affecting Americans at the local, regional, and national levels.
- Health and Medicine (Gale OneFile) - Valley Cottage
- Medline PlusInformation on over 650 diseases and conditions. There are also lists of hospitals and physicians, a medical encyclopedia and a medical dictionary, health information in Spanish, extensive information on prescription and nonprescription drugs, health information from the media, and links to thousands of clinical trials.
Funded by the National Library of Medicine
- Merck ManualsMerck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA is a global healthcare leader working to help the world be well. From developing new therapies that treat and prevent disease to helping people in need, we are committed to improving health and well-being around the world. The Merck Manual was first published in 1899 as a service to the community. The legacy of this great resource continues as the Merck Manual in the US and Canada and the MSD Manual outside of North America.
- National Institute on AgingNIA, one of the 27 Institutes and Centers of NIH, leads a broad scientific effort to understand the nature of aging and to extend the healthy, active years of life. NIA is the primary Federal agency supporting and conducting Alzheimer's disease research.
- Salem Online - Valley CottageSalem provides access to a growing number of literary reference works both in traditional, printed form and online. Purchasers of qualifying printed reference products are entitled to complimentary access to the full content of the print reference.
Funded by the Valley Cottage Free Library.
CLICK TO ACCESS FROM HOME:
- CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Environmental HealthThis portion of the CDC website focuses on all facets of the environment that affect human health and, in turn, how people affect the health of the environment.
- Computer Science (Gale OneFile) - Valley CottageResearchers can instantly access hundreds of today’s most well-read and influential periodicals in a single search. Featuring coverage from 1980 to the present, Computer Database is the perfect source for research on trends and innovations in the ever-changing world of technology.
CLICK TO ACCESS FROM HOME:
- Privacy Rights in the Digital AgeThe comprehensive scope touches on the practical, political, psychological, and philosophical challenges faced by society as technological advances redefine our established notions of privacy.
Funded by the Valley Cottage Library
- UXL Encyclopedia of ScienceFind information about the physical, life, and earth sciences, as well as math, psychology, engineering, technology, and information on the environment.
- TechBoomersTechboomers.com is a free educational website that teaches older adults and other inexperienced Internet users with basic computer skills about websites that can help improve their quality of life.
Science & Technology E-Books
To access these E-books you will need to enter your library card number
- Alternative Energy byISBN: 9781414490779Introduces students to issues surrounding current energy sources and alternative energy options.
- Asteroids, Meteorites, and Comets byISBN: 0816076960This exciting, full-color volume covers the massive collection of smaller bodies orbiting the Sun, including asteroids in the main asteroid belt and throughout the solar system, comets both from the Kuiper belt and from the much more distant Oort cloud, and the interplanetary dust left in their wakes.
- The Cell: Nature's First Life-FormISBN: 0816068496This resource includes the recent controversy over the teaching of creationism in public schools, life on other planets, bacterial populations, and the potential threat of certain pathogenic species.
- Chemical Elements byISBN: 9781414476087Publication Date: 2010-06-25Provides in-depth information on 112 known chemical elements, plus coverage of recently discovered elements 113 through 116 and 118.
- Complete Dictionary of Scientific BiographyISBN: 0684313200Provides information on the history of science through articles on the professional lives of scientists. All periods of science from classical antiquity to modern times are represented.
- Computer Sciences byISBN: 9780028662206Computer Sciences, 2nd Edition reviews the history of the discipline and concepts, as well as profiles contributors in the field.
- The Earth and the MoonISBN: 0816076979This volume compares the Earth with the other planets from the point of view of a planetary scientist. It provides in-depth information on the fundamental aspects of the Earth as a planet—including its size and mass, its orbit, and the causes of its seasons, as well as the formation and evolution of the Moon.
- Environmental Science ExperimentsISBN: 081607805XOffers students and teachers the tools to explore various environmental issues through 20 new hands-on activities.
- Forensic Science ExperimentsISBN: 0816078041This volume features 20 experiments that will help students get a firm grasp on concepts in the field of forensic science.
- Physical Science ExperimentsISBN: 0816078076The experiments in this volume are original and appealing, providing teachers with new avenues for helping students understand the concepts of physical science.
- Space and Astronomy ExperimentsISBN: 0816078092Presenting experiments from all areas, including physics and geology, the text contains proven classroom experiments that broaden understanding of both science facts and the nature of space and astronomy. Full-color line illustrations, tables, and charts round out this comprehensive resource.
- Space Sciences byISBN: 9780028662145From the history of space exploration to the future of "space business", this set offers a broad survey of the space sciences. Includes biographies of scientists and the space-related job market.
- Stem Cell Research: Medical Applications and Ethical ControversiesISBN: 0816083304Discusses the different types of stem cells, how they are studied in the laboratory, and the diseases that may be treated with these cells.
- Weather and Climate ExperimentsISBN: 0816078084Activities include investigations of the effects of water's high heat capacity on temperatures, worldwide weather phenomena, and the levels of two weather and climate factors that are impacted by human activities.