Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Educational Purposes of Book Talks
- Get children to notice new, high quality books.
- Make comparisons between books for elements of literature.
- Examine difference between genres.
- Encourage discussion in the classroom and rapport amongst themselves and with the teacher.
- Model how readers think and talk... "think-alouds, modeling fluency, and using metacognitive strategies while discussing the book.... and to send the positive message that reading matters" (Batchelor & Cassidy, 2019)
Sample Ideas for Using Video Book Talks
- Mix and match these videos, book trailers, etc. to make your own YouTube themed playlist
- Interactive bulletin boards and displays
- Interactive bookmarks
- Augmented reality experience
- Book tasting event
- Teaching book talking - modeling and exemplars
- Book "museum walk"
- Author visit/event flyers
- Summer Reading and other booklists flyers
- Play on repeat in monitors in the library
Level up Your Librarianship