Illustrated hiking guide to New York State's Shawangunk Mountains, with interpretation of region's forest ecology, geology, meteorology, wildlife biology, botany, and history. Includes maps and keys to hikes.
The 50-mile-long Shawangunk Ridge features some of the most interesting and spectacular scenery in the Northeast. This well-known landform is located less than 90 miles from New York City and less than a day's drive from more than 40 million people. Much of the ridge is open to the public as preserve land and state park. The combination of beauty, countless recreational possibilities, and easy access make this one of the Northeast region's most popular weekend and vacation destinations. It is estimated that nearly half a million people visit the Shawangunks every year. Many come to hike, mountain bike, or cross-country ski the more than 200 miles of trails that crisscross the ridge. Now Jeffrey Perls has created this comprehensive handbook and guide, detailing how to get there and what to do on nearly every mile of trail. The Shawangunks Trail Companion is the first and only book to provide both a thorough description of the landform as well as a complete guide to its trails. 22 black & white photographs, 15 maps, index.
Images from our Collection
Main Street, Pine Bush, N.Y. [Postcard], (c. 1900).
The town of Crawford was initially settled by German, Dutch, Irish, and Scottish families who built mills along the Hudson River tributaries. By the early 1800s, the area was known as "the Butter Capital of the World." Nestled along the base of the Shawangunk Mountains, the town of Crawford has transitioned from a rural farming community to a residential oasis. Along the way, farmlands have become housing developments, local industry has given way to chain stores, and dirt roads have become paved highways. A collection of images from as early as the 1860s depicts the transformation of the communities of Searsville, Bullville, Thompson Ridge, and Pine Bush. Although the surroundings have changed, the hearts of area residents have remained loyal to the small-town ideals that define the town of Crawford. The Images of America series celebrates the history of neighborhoods, towns, and cities across the country. Using archival photographs, each title presents the distinctive stories from the past that shape the character of the community today. Arcadia is proud to play a part in the preservation of local heritage, making history available to all. Book jacket.
Pine Bush: Its History and Relation to the Hudson Valley
by Suzanne Tremper
Call Number: REF 974.731
Publication Date: 1979
Collection of photographs, maps and newsclippings of the area as it relates to Pine Bush, NY. Located in folder on Local History Shelf.
Vertical File: Pine Bush History
Call Number: REF 974.73 PIN
Folder Containing 1997 Community Information Guide showing the history of Pine Bush, photocopied map of the area c. 1903 and photocopies of pages from Ruttenber's "History of Orange County, N.Y."
Verticle File: Town of Crawford Historical Society Programs
by Town of Crawford Historical Society Programs
Call Number: REF 974.731 TOW
Publication Date: 2005-
Calendars of events and flyers produced by the Town of Crawford Historical Society.
Vertical File: Carl Wolfgang Maiwald
by Carl Wolfgang Maiwald
Call Number: REF 814.54 MAI
Vertical file containing the works of local author Carl Wolfgang Maiwald, including "Sleeping with the Boarder", "Yesteryear", "Glendine the Deerslayer", "How to not write a story" and "Little Mary".
Vertical File: James I Crawford Farmstead
Call Number: REF 974.731 CRA
Vertical File containing information regarding the James I. Crawford Farmstead; including a letter of nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, architectural and historical survey reports.
Vertical File: Township of Crawford With names of roads as adopted by Township-1955
Call Number: REF 974.731 TOW
Publication Date: 1955
Map produced by E&A Crawford Building Supplies in 1955
Vertical File: Town of Crawford
by J. Erskine Ward
Call Number: REF 974.731 WAR
Essay on the history of the Town of Crawford by J. Erskine Ward.
Monograph of the history of Pine Bush, New York during the early 20th century using interviews with local residents conducted around 1979: Ann Hill Adams, Raymond Hill, Andrew Burkinshaw, Marion Baker Cooley, Alice Birr Crawford, Helen Piggott Davis, Thelma Kain, Colin Keir, Della Canfield Markwood, Alvin and Beatrice McKaig, Edith Smith, Mildred Stewart, George Thompson, Warren Van Houten. 40 Pages
Vertical File: Gill House
Call Number: REF 920 GILL HOUSE
Publication Date: 1982-
Two editions of the New Yorker featuring a two-part article "Personal History (The Shoumatoff Family)" by Alex Shoumatoff. The family lived in Pine Bush briefly following the Russian Revolution and settled in the Yama Farms region. Folder labeled "REF 920 GILL HOUSE" on Local History shelf.