Branding your library with Local History: Collection Scope and Survey
Conducting a Collection Survey
When performing a collection survey it is important to consider the following:
- Items currently being collected by other libraries, museums, historical societies in your area
- Important residents, organizations and/or events that define your community as "unique"
- The geographic region your collection will encompass (village, town, county, region and/or state)
- Landmarks and historic buildings
- The format of the items in your collection (still/moving images, websites, manuscripts, microfilm, artwork etc)
- Storage and use space
- The services you can provide (photocopying, exhibits, reference, research)
The result of your survey is the mission statement; a BRIEF summary of the collections and services you offer.
Here are some examples of mission statements from libraries in our system: