NYS Home School and Educational Resources - Newburgh Free Library: 9-12 Resources
Resources to help adults support youth learning and help young scholars support themselves.
New York State Department of Education Requirements
- High School Plans"We’re investing in you. And, we have a vibrant network of resources to prove it! Our timelines prepare you for high school, help you to stay on track, and ensure your smooth transition to SUNY. Take a few minutes to explore these tips and ideas, and combine them with the input you receive from your school counselor, teachers, and parents and family members. Then, work hard, do well, have fun, plan for the future, and contribute to your school and community. You’ll find that you will be prepared to immerse yourself in all that college has to offer."
- Planning Your High School CoursesThe classes you take in middle school will have an impact on the courses you can select in high school. Each spring, with the help of your school counselor, you will have the opportunity to select the classes you’d like to take for the following year. Your goal, to be ready to go to college after high school, is to take the most challenging courses you can.
New York State Learning Standards
- Next Generation Learning Standards: Parent ResourcesAs educators in New York get closer to full implementation of the Next Generation Learning Standards, many parents may begin to question: Why were the standards revised? What revisions were made? How will the revised standards affect my child’s education?
Researching or interested in learning some new skills?
Check out the full list of Databases available from the Library HERE.
Here's just a sample:
- Universal Class - NewburghFeatures a wide variety of fun courses for you to pursue for your personal interests and enrichment.
- LearningExpress Library - NewburghTime to think about test prep? Helpful material and interactive practice exams for PSAT, SAT and many other exams are included.
- Awesome Library for TeensAwesome Library organizes the Web with 37,000 carefully reviewed resources.
- CrashCourseIf you need a quick overview of any topic or concept, here's a great place to go! You'll be smarter in 10-15 minutes.
- NASA STEM EngagementSTEM resources for students in grades 9-12.
- New York State MuseumThe New York State Museum serves the lifelong educational needs of New Yorkers and visitors through its collections, exhibitions, scholarship, programs, media and publications in science, history, anthropology, and art. The Museum explores and expresses New York State’s significant natural and cultural diversity, past and present.
- NYS Library Selected Education WebsitesThis list includes general educational resources, information on distance learning, and more.
- Summer Reading at NY Libraries, TeensWe have a ton of fun stuff waiting for you so stick around and check out what we have.
- Information for Students Wishing to Attend CollegeIn September 2004, the New York State Board of Regents adopted an amendment to section 100.10 of Commissioner's regulations relating to the home instruction of students of compulsory school age who wish to attend college on a full-time basis..
- New York State General Education and Diploma RequirementsThe purpose of this site is to provide guidance regarding general education regulations and diploma requirements in New York State
- Regents ExaminationsFrom the NYS ED Office of State Assessment
- Regents RequirementsTo graduate high school in New York State, you must take and pass certain classes and exams.