NYS Home School and Educational Resources - Newburgh Free Library: Home
CURRENT SCHOOL YEAR 2021/22
New York State Homeschooling- Where to Start
Contact your school district to learn about any homeschooling tools and support they may offer.
- Program Deadline Extension: For the 2020-21 school year, the home instruction program deadline for submission of the written notice of intention to instruct at home is extended from July 1 until August 1, 2020.
- Section 100.10(e) is amended to provide flexibility for the unit of study requirements for home instruction programs during the COVID-19 crisis, provided students meet the learning outcomes for the portion of the unit of study completed.
- Section 100.10(f) is amended to provide flexibility from the instructional day and/or hour requirements provided the home instruction program provides continuity of learning to students.
- Revision to April 4, 2020 amendment: These revised emergency regulations were adopted at the June BOR meeting to provide additional flexibility for the home instruction program annual assessment requirement. The revised amendment provides that due to the COVID-19 crisis, students shall be exempted from the annual assessment and alternative evaluation requirements for the 2019-2020 school year where a student otherwise achieves the learning outcomes in accordance with their individualized home instruction plan (IHIP).
April 6, 2020
- Section 100.10(h) regarding annual assessment for students participating in a program of home instruction is amended to provide that an alternative form of evaluation, in lieu of an annual assessment, shall be permitted for all grades in the 2019-20 school year due to the State of Emergency declared by the Governor pursuant to an Executive Order for the COVID-19 crisis. The Board of Regents today adopted emergency regulations to ease the burdens and provide important flexibility for educators, students, professionals and others to address interruptions in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Additional information regarding these emergency regulations is available on our website.
October 4, 2019
- Additional Frequently Asked Questions About School Vaccination Requirements from the New York State Department of Health
August 16, 2019
- Emergency regulations to conform to recent amendments to the Public Health Law
- Additional Guidance About Vaccination Requirements
July 19, 2019 - Frequently Asked Questions About Vaccination Requirements
In September 2004, the New York State Board of Regents adopted an amendment to section 100.10 of Commissioner's regulations relating to the home instruction of students of compulsory school age who wish to attend college on a full-time basis.
requires students of compulsory school age who have yet to complete a four-year high school program and who seek to enroll in full-time college study to submit to the college verification from the school district of residence that the student will be meeting the compulsory education requirements through full-time college study. This verification must be in the form of an approved Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) that includes the full-time college study.
permits school district residents, including home instructed students, to take five specific Regents examinations or approved alternative examinations for the purpose of meeting the preliminary education requirement for earning a college degree, applicable to students beyond compulsory school age.
repeals the requirement that a student present satisfactory evidence of a preliminary education of at least a four-year high school course or its equivalent before beginning college degree study. This requirement was in conflict with the Commissioner's Regulation that permitted a student to earn a high school equivalency diploma through completing 24 semester hours as a recognized candidate for a college degree.