For Seniors and Those Who Love and Care for Them: Trusted Information and Preparation
Trusted Information on COVID-19
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Official government website with information about the outbreak
You can now get vaccine information by phone or e-mail from the CDC.
CDC new mask guidelines as of January 14, 2022. Which type of masks to use. NEW!
Every home in the U.S. is eligible to order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests. The tests are completely free. NEW!
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - Find out how the FDA is protecting public health in the area of COVID-19 diagnostic testing, biologics, PPE, medical devices, vaccines, and therapeutics.
Medicare.gov - The source for your Medicare questions about COVID-19.
New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) - Latest COVID-19 information.
New York State COVID-19 Vaccine Information - Get the facts on who is eligible and how to schedule a vaccine. NEW!
Quick Link to New York State-operated vaccination locations and availability
NYS Excelsior Pass provides a free, fast and secure way to present digital proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test results. NEW!
New York State Regional Monitoring Dashboard - Where NYS regions currently stand on hospitalizations and metrics that have been established based on guidance from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, the U.S. Department of State, and other public health experts.
Rockland County Coronavirus COVID-19 information including Rockland County Department of Health Vaccine and Booster Clinics availability and testing sites. NEW!
NEW! Rockland Community College COVID-19 Testing Site now open offering PCR COVID-19 oral, saliva based test. Schedule an appointment.
NEW! Rockland County Mass COVID-19 Testing Site in Stony Point. Scroll down past "Where can you get tested?" to enter your address/location. Look for Patriot Hills Golf Club site -Stony Point. Warning - PCR tests may not be available. Click the PCR filter to check. Then click "Book Now!".
Latest Information on COVID-19 Vaccine availability in Rockland County. To check availability for NYS run sites, click "Quick Link" above.
Rockland County COVID-19 Dashboard - See where COVID-19 cases are and vaccinations have been given in the county by zip code.
Resources from AARP:
AARP Coronavirus webpage - latest coronavirus news from the AARP.
AARP article on myths about the coronavirus vaccine.
Tips for safeguarding your CDC Vaccination card from the AARP.
AARP article on COVID-19 Booster shots - who is eligible and when.
Shopping for Necessities
How to prepare for Coronavirus - Checklist from the AARP
Unvaccinated seniors are in a at higher risk group, they should limit their exposure to others. Many stores in our area are still offering senior hours to allow seniors to shop when the store may be less crowded. Please be aware some stores do not enforce this rule so there is no guarantee it will be less crowded. In addition, many stores are limiting the number of customers that can be in the store at one time so you may find yourself outside waiting in line. You may want to call the store ahead of time to ask about their current policies.
Some stores offer delivery service or partner with third parties like Instacart.com. Be aware the wait time for delivery can be very long or become even unavailable due to the high demand.
Senior Hours at local food stores:
- ShopRite West Nyack senior hours
- Target (West Nyack) senior hours
- B J’s senior hours
- CVS pharmacy free home delivery
- Orchards of Concklin curbside pick-up
- Van Houten Farms curbside pick-up
Meal Delivery Service for Rockland Seniors meeting certain criteria.
Rockland Community Against Hunger: Find list of organizations or map of them by clicking "Find Food" on the menu bar.
SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) - See if you are eligible and how to apply.
If you must use public transportation, remember to wear a face covering and try to keep a distance of 6 feet from others.
Transportation schedule and procedural changes for TOR, ferry, Metro-North, Harlem, New Haven lines, Rockland Coaches, BEE-LINE, Clarkstown Mini-Trans, Monsey Trails, Shortline, Hudson Link, NJ Transit (Pascack Valley & Port Jervis) can be found on the Rockland County Public Transportation Page.
Complete A Care Plan Form
Be prepared with a Care Plan. Everyone, not just seniors, should make a document available with all health care information such as:
- Your medical condition(s)
- Your health care provider(s)
- Medications you are taking and dosages
- Health insurance provider(s)
- Preferred hospital
- Advanced care planning
- Emergency contacts.
The CDC offers a Care Plan form that facilitates this process.
"Social distancing" has made many of us, not only seniors, feel isolated and anxious. A better term could be "physical" distancing since you can still be "social" via phone or video calls, texts, emails, and/or regular mail. So make it a point to catch up with friends and family in a way that does not require you to be closer than 6 feet from them.
The latest CDC guidelines about social gathering outdoors as well as indoors with fully vaccinated individuals can be found here. NEW!
Some fun activities on our Activities page may help create a new routine from the usual activities you are missing. Here are some resources available to you if you need help coping:
- Need to schedule a friendly call from an AARP volunteer? AARP Friendly Voice program offers phone calls from their trained volunteers.
- Read AARP's article on Ways to Cope With Anxiety During the Coronavirus Outbreak
- Try this meditation video that is set outdoors compliments of The New York Times. (You may need to adjust your volume to hear the gentle sounds.)
- Free, confidential and anonymous assistance from crisis counselors from New York Project Hope. Their COVID-19 Emotional Support Hotline is available 7 days a week (8am-10pm) at 1-844-863-9314.
- Rockland County Department of Mental Health's Support Line at 845-364-2955 is available Monday-Friday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. This support line is for those feeling anxious related to the virus in general (even without having symptoms or positive results)
- Emergency Hotlines
- Behavioral Health Response Team at 845-517-0400
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Line - 1-800-799-4889
- Veterans Crisis Line - 1-800-273-8255 press 1
- Domestic Violence 24-HOUR HOTLINE: (845) 634-3344, TEXT(845) 286-4997 or CHAT via webpage: Center for Safety and Change
- NYS Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence (24-HOUR HOTLINE): 1-800-942-6906 .
Valley Cottage Library Adult Services Librarians
The VCL Adult Services Librarians created this resource for the seniors in our community who we miss seeing during this unprecedented time. Our hope is that the information we provided will help you stay curious, inspired and connected!
Sean, Anya, Megan, Katrina, Mary, Holly, Kat, Adrienne, and Nancy