Warwick Valley Heritage: Home
- Warwick Heritage Digital Collection
- Includes articles, books, images, audio & video files.
- Dr. Richard Hull's "History Alive Show"
- Other nearby digital repositories & exhibits:
- Scanned Warwick Newspapers
- Includes Warwick Valley Dispatch 1886-current, Warwick Advertiser 1866-2003
- Warwick Advertiser 2004 and on, ask at Help Desk [Help Desk Staff Access]
- Goshen Newspapers 1859-1865 (Warwick had no paper until 1866)
- Scanned Orange County Newspapers
- Warwick Advertiser Website
- Warwick Valley Dispatch Website
- About Local Newspapers - Tips
DIGITAL COLLECTION EXHIBITS FEATURED THIS MONTH
NEW MAPS PAGE!
Our historical maps page is being upgraded and new maps added. Still a work in progress, but check it out!
Click on "Maps" in the directory below, or follow this link: https://guides.rcls.org/WarwickMaps/Historical
SPECIAL TOPIC GUIDES
- Continental Army Supply Depot at Warwick
- Diverse Documents: Warwick's People of Color
- Great Chain Across the Hudson
- Historical Environmental Movements of Warwick
- John Hathorn's Revolutionary Legacy
- Lydia Sayer Hasbrouck: Women's Rights Activist
- Pulpit Rock History
- Revolutionary War in the Mid-Hudson: A Guide for Teachers
- Stone Age Warwick (Native American Artifacts)
- Warwick Woodlands: Correctional Facility @ State School Rd.
The Jim Baird Family Collection includes several Civil War letters by local men. and other unique materials. Recently we were given permission to scan some of the records from this collection. We are still in the process of preparing them, but here are the ones already completed.
GENEALOGY & HISTORICAL RESEARCH DATABASES
The library provides commercial databases for AWPL cardholders to assist with historical & family history research. All except Ancestry Library Edition are available to you from home with your library card.
Access the databases here: http://guides.rcls.org/c.php?g=128571&p=839608
Orange County Clerk's Office Property Records
Scans of the deed and mortgage books and indexes are available on Familysearch.org, a free site. There is no searchability, you must check the scans of the index volumes to locate Liber and Page.
- First create a familysearch.org account (it is free)
- Then follow the link below to the page that lists all the volumes available.
The following is a partial list of books about Warwick and Orange County history that are full text and in a PDF format you can download to your computer or device; you can find links to more ebooks and e-documents in the Warwick Heritage Database.
Basics: Short Histories of the Warwick Valley:
- Short History by S. Gardner (2009)
- Warwick Chapter from Ruttenber and Clark's History of Orange County:(1881)
General Orange County History:
- An Eighteenth Century Journey Through Orange County by Hector St. John de Crevecoeur (1781, translation ci1937)
- History of Orange County by Ruttenber & Clark (1881; entire book)
Warwick & Sugar Loaf Specific Works:
- Bellvale Rising Star by Thomas Burt (newspaper published 1 year about Bellvale, 1889)
- Black Jacob by A. D. Eddy. The inspiring life story of Jacob Hodges of Sugar Loaf, who was coerced into the murder of Richard Jennings, then reformed.
- History of Orange County by Ruttenber & Clark (1881; Warwick chapter only)
- Memoirs of Hon. Nathaniel Jones U.S. House of Representatives 1837-1841, lived in Warwick, many local anecdotes.
- Report of the Trial of The Murderers of Richard Jennings; pamphlet from the collection of the archive of the Warwick Historical Society (1819; murder occurred in Sugar Loaf)
- Under Old Rooftrees by Eliza Benedict Hornby (1908). Collection of facts and stories about Warwick Valley life in the 18th and 19th centuries. Lifestyles, weather, weddings, slaves, folkways, etc.
- Warwick Woodlands by Frank Forester (Henry William Herbert). Classic field sports/hunting narrative, 1840s.