Warwick Valley Heritage: Home
- Warwick Heritage Digital Collection
- Growing weekly! Check back often
- Note: first page of site may take up to 1 min. to load
- Quick Start Searching-- "how to" videos
- Audio Files/Podcasts
- Other repositories:
DIGITAL COLLECTION EXHIBITS FEATURED THIS MONTH
SPECIAL TOPIC GUIDES
- Continental Army Supply Depot at Warwick
- Great Chain Across the Hudson
- John Hathorn's Revolutionary Legacy
- Lydia Sayer Hasbrouck: Women's Rights Activist
- Revolutionary War in the Mid-Hudson: A Guide for Teachers
- Stone Age Warwick (Native American Artifacts)
- Warwick Woodlands: Correctional Facility @ State School Rd.
- History of Pulpit Rock
What is that weird stone thing at Wickham Woodlands Park?
Visit some history about the outdoor shrine of the New York State Training School for Boys here:
The local history department has set up local history image virtual jigsaw puzzles at:
GENEALOGY & HISTORICAL RESEARCH DATABASES
The library provides commercial databases for AWPL cardholders to assist with historical & family history research. All except Ancestry Library Edition are available to you from home with your library card.
Access the databases here: http://guides.rcls.org/c.php?g=128571&p=839608
The following is a partial list of books about Warwick and Orange County history that are full text and in a PDF format you can download to your computer or device; you can find links to more ebooks and e-documents in the Warwick Heritage Database.
Basics: Short Histories of the Warwick Valley:
- Short History by S. Gardner (2009)
- Warwick Chapter from Ruttenber and Clark's History of Orange County:(1881)
General Orange County History:
- An Eighteenth Century Journey Through Orange County by Hector St. John de Crevecoeur (1781, translation ci1937)
- History of Orange County by Ruttenber & Clark (1881; entire book)
Warwick & Sugar Loaf Specific Works:
- Bellvale Rising Star by Thomas Burt (newspaper published 1 year about Bellvale, 1889)
- Black Jacob by A. D. Eddy. The inspiring life story of Jacob Hodges of Sugar Loaf, who was coerced into the murder of Richard Jennings, then reformed.
- History of Orange County by Ruttenber & Clark (1881; Warwick chapter only)
- Memoirs of Hon. Nathaniel Jones U.S. House of Representatives 1837-1841, lived in Warwick, many local anecdotes.
- Report of the Trial of The Murderers of Richard Jennings; pamphlet from the collection of the archive of the Warwick Historical Society (1819; murder occurred in Sugar Loaf)
- Under Old Rooftrees by Eliza Benedict Hornby (1908). Collection of facts and stories about Warwick Valley life in the 18th and 19th centuries. Lifestyles, weather, weddings, slaves, folkways, etc.
- Warwick Woodlands by Frank Forester (Henry William Herbert). Classic field sports/hunting narrative, 1840s.