Warwick Valley Heritage: Home
- Warwick Heritage Digital Collection
- Includes articles, books, images, audio & video files.
- Dr. Richard Hull's "History Alive Show"
- Other nearby digital repositories & exhibits:
- Orange County Clerk's Office Historical Records
- Scanned Warwick & Goshen Newspapers
- Includes Warwick Valley Dispatch 1886-current, Warwick Advertiser 1866-2003
- Warwick Advertiser 2004 and on, ask at Help Desk [Help Desk Staff Access]
- Goshen Newspapers 1789-1865 (Incomplete); Warwick had no paper until 1866
- Other Scanned Orange County Newspapers
- Warwick Advertiser Website
- Warwick Valley Dispatch Website
- About Local Newspapers - Tips
DIGITAL COLLECTION EXHIBITS FEATURED THIS MONTH
NEW! ORANGE COUNTY CLERK'S OFFICE HISTORICAL RECORDS
Some record historical documents are now available in digital format for free! Visit their website at: https://www.orangecountygov.com/2186/Historical-Documents-Resources
SPECIAL TOPIC GUIDES
- Continental Army Supply Depot at Warwick
- Diverse Documents: Warwick's People of Color
- Great Chain Across the Hudson
- Historical Environmental Movements of Warwick
- John Hathorn's Revolutionary Legacy
- Lydia Sayer Hasbrouck: Women's Rights Activist
- Pulpit Rock History
- Stone Age Warwick (Native American Artifacts)
- Warwick Woodlands: Correctional Facility @ State School Rd.
REGIONAL & TEACHER GUIDES:
- Revolutionary War in the Mid-Hudson: A Guide for Teachers
- Teachers' Guide to incorporating local history into the curriculum
- USA @ 250 and your community: finding local stories
GENEALOGY & HISTORICAL RESEARCH DATABASES
The library provides commercial databases for AWPL cardholders to assist with historical & family history research. All except Ancestry Library Edition are available to you from home with your library card.
Access the databases here: http://guides.rcls.org/c.php?g=128571&p=839608
Orange County Clerk's Office Property Records
Scans of the deed and mortgage books and indexes are available on Familysearch.org, a free site. There is no searchability, you must check the scans of the index volumes to locate Liber and Page.
- First create a familysearch.org account (it is free)
- Then follow the link below to the page that lists all the volumes available.
The following is a partial list of books about Warwick and Orange County history that are full text and in a PDF format you can download to your computer or device; you can find links to more ebooks and e-documents in the Warwick Heritage Database.
Basics: Short Histories of the Warwick Valley:
- Short History by S. Gardner (2009)
- Warwick Chapter from Ruttenber and Clark's History of Orange County:(1881)
General Orange County History:
- An Eighteenth Century Journey Through Orange County by Hector St. John de Crevecoeur (1781, translation ci1937)
- History of Orange County by Ruttenber & Clark (1881; entire book)
Warwick & Sugar Loaf Specific Works:
- Bellvale Rising Star by Thomas Burt (newspaper published 1 year about Bellvale, 1889)
- Black Jacob by A. D. Eddy. The inspiring life story of Jacob Hodges of Sugar Loaf, who was coerced into the murder of Richard Jennings, then reformed.
- History of Orange County by Ruttenber & Clark (1881; Warwick chapter only)
- Memoirs of Hon. Nathaniel Jones U.S. House of Representatives 1837-1841, lived in Warwick, many local anecdotes.
- Report of the Trial of The Murderers of Richard Jennings; pamphlet from the collection of the archive of the Warwick Historical Society (1819; murder occurred in Sugar Loaf)
- Under Old Rooftrees by Eliza Benedict Hornby (1908). Collection of facts and stories about Warwick Valley life in the 18th and 19th centuries. Lifestyles, weather, weddings, slaves, folkways, etc.
- Warwick Woodlands by Frank Forester (Henry William Herbert). Classic field sports/hunting narrative, 1840s.