Concept Books: Opposites
Picture books about shapes, colors, senses, and telling time.
Suggested Book List
- Above and Below byCall Number: JP JohnsonISBN: 9780736867351Publication Date: 2007-01-01Simple text and color photographs introduce basic concepts of above and below.
- Big Bot, Small Bot byISBN: 9781576877500Publication Date: 2015-06-09Big Bot, Small Bot invites young readers to play with robots who demonstrate opposites such as 'quiet' and 'loud,' 'front' and 'back,' and 'full' and 'empty.' Each charming illustration in this interactive book is presented with a gatefold that, when lifted, transforms the image into its opposite! Simple yet endlessly entertaining, Big Bot, Small Bot is a perfect read-aloud for toddlers and pre-schoolers.
- Big Is Big and Little, Little byCall Number: JP KochISBN: 9780823419098Publication Date: 2007-04-01From big and little to cool and hot, from fat and thin to dark and light, poet J. Patrick Lewis cleverly and clearly covers a range of kid friendly opposites, while Bob Barner’s bold and accessible artwork underscores and enlivens the concept for the youngest audiences.
- Drive byCall Number: JP HatanakaISBN: 9781554987313Publication Date: 2015-05-12A road trip that takes readers into a big, wide world--and into a small, narrow one, too! With the same sophisticated, minimalist design that characterized Work: An Occupational ABC, Drive is an exploration of opposites. Any child (or adult) who has stared out the window of their family's car counting license plates and state lines will recognize the highs and lows of being on the road. Sit back, or front, if you'd prefer, and come along for the ride.
- A Garden of Opposites byCall Number: JP DavisISBN: 9780375856662Publication Date: 2009-03-10Enter this beautiful garden and see what opposites you’ll find! A short caterpillar and a long garden snake, a closed bud and an open blossom. These delightful images will teach youngsters about basic opposite concepts, and about the charms and wonders of the outdoors! This simple book has a surprise treat at the end—a gatefold displaying the whole garden, with opposites galore for little ones to search for. Plus, sturdy cardstock pages make this book perfect for reading indoors . . . or for taking to the park!
- Guinea Pigs Far and Near byISBN: 0525441123Publication Date: 1984-10-08Illustrations of guinea pigs engaged in a variety of activities are accompanied by a brief descriptive text.
- Magic Opposites byISBN: 9781907967559Publication Date: 2013-10-22It's magic! With an eye-popping design and see-through pages to flip back and forth, these clever books introduce children to basic concepts in the most delightful way! Big becomes small, sunny days give way to rain, and land turns into sea in this fantastic book of opposites. With a flip of the see-through acetate pages, a boy's bow tie changes into a girl's hair bow, an arrow shifts from left to right, and an owl in a cage moves out. The bold colors, appealing graphics, and visual trickery will delight, entertain, and inform.
- Mimi's Book of Opposites byCall Number: JP ClarkISBN: 1570915741Publication Date: 2004-03-01Because Mimi is the big sister, in her book she is "good" and her baby brother is "naughty."
- Near and Far byCall Number: JP JohnsonISBN: 9780736867368Publication Date: 2007-01-01Simple text and color photographs introduce basic concepts of near and far.
- Octopus Opposites byCall Number: JP BlackstoneISBN: 9781846863288Publication Date: 2010-02-01Empty, full; push, pull; young, old; hot, cold! The creatures in this vibrant book range from friendly elephants to exotic kookaburras, each with a pair of opposites to share.
- Opposites byISBN: 1566740045Publication Date: 1992-07-01This colorful book will playfully rhyme the simple concepts we use all the time! The Active Minds series will teach young children the alphabet, numbers from 1 to 10, colors, basic shapes, times of the day & simple opposites. The bright, crisp, photographs of everyday items will capture any child's attention. A basic, bold & bright introduction to simple concepts for beginning readers.
- The Opposite Zoo byISBN: 9780553511277Publication Date: 2016-03-08From the creator of A Book of Sleep and A Book of Babies comes a beautiful new book of animals--and opposites! The sky is dark and the Opposite Zoo is CLOSED. But the monkey's cage is OPEN! Time to explore. . . Follow the monkey as he visits all the animals in the zoo: fast and slow, big and small, noisy and quiet, soft and prickly! Filled with energetic illustrations, friendly animals, and a clear, simple text--all wrapped up in a gorgeous package--The Opposite Zoo is a fun and lively introduction to animals and opposites for the youngest picture-book audience.
- Over Under byCall Number: JP JocelynISBN: 0887767087Publication Date: 2005-03-08Marthe Jocelyn and Tom Slaughter explore opposites in this gorgeous introduction to modern art for small readers. Cut paper images introduce children to color, form, and design as they explore tall giraffes and short mice, squares and circles, light day and dark night. An art book as well as a sound learning tool,Over Underis stunningly simple and simply stunning.
- Shells! Shells! Shells! byCall Number: JP WallaceISBN: 9781429699600Publication Date: 2007-03-01Buddy and his mother spend a delightful day at the beach. They collect shells, and Buddy#146;s mother explains how they are made. She answers Buddy#146;s many questions about whelks, mussels, clams, and the rest of their discoveries. With her signature artwork using recycled paper, markers, crayons, actual shells, and colored pencils, Nancy Elizabeth Wallace takes a closer look at everything a child will enjoy seeing. This book is a perfect introduction to environmental science and biology, but will also be useful to all enthusiastic beachcombers. A bookmark craft activity and a page of shell facts are included. You can visit her online at www.nancyelizabethwallace.com.
- To and Fro, Fast and Slow byCall Number: JP BernhardISBN: 0802787827Publication Date: 2001-10-01The rhythms of a young girl's life, as she moves between her mother's country home and her father's city apartment, are perfectly captured in this beautifully illustrated early concept book.
- Up and Down byCall Number: JP JohnsonISBN: 9780736867344Publication Date: 2007-01-01Provides simple text and photographs that introduce the basic concept of up and down.
- What's Opposite? byISBN: 9781563978814Publication Date: 2000-09-01A photographic essay depicting opposites.
- What's up, Bear? byISBN: 9781926973418Publication Date: 2012-10-15In Where Are You, Bear?, Sophie and her best friend Bear discovered Canada from A to Z. Now, they’re off to explore New York City through nearly twenty pairs of opposites! Sophie can’t wait to see New York, while Bear would much rather they just stay home. Sophie loves speeding around in a taxi cab, but Bear wishes the driver would slow down. Up and down, stop and go, tall and short, and many more opposite pairs are illustrated using iconic New York experiences, buildings, and landmarks. Then, when Sophie spies a window full of new bears in a toy store, Bear begins to worry he is too plain and old to compete with all the city has to offer. He’s proven right temporarily when Sophie forgets him in the toy store, but a helpful young boy and his mother find Bear and return him to Sophie at her hotel. The reunion is a happy one, and Sophie and Bear realize they love each other — no matter where they are!