Concept Books: Animal Sounds
Picture books about shapes, colors, senses, and telling time.
Suggested Book List
- Meow! byCall Number: JP AlikiISBN: 0823413616Publication Date: 1998-01-01A fun-filled story book that teaches children animal sounds.
- Barnyard Lullaby byCall Number: JP AschISBN: 0689813635Publication Date: 1998-02-01#Although the farmer only hears animal noises, when the different barnyard animals sing lullabies to their respective children, the babies understand the words. Includes music.
- Cock-a-Doodle-Doo byCall Number: JP GeistISBN: 0688061036Publication Date: 1986-08-01The animal and human inhabitants of a farm quack, neigh, say, "Shoo] Shoo]" and otherwise communicate in their own fashion.
- Who Says Woof? byCall Number: JP ButlerISBN: 0670036552Publication Date: 2003-09-15Who says quack? A duck says quack! Who says baa? A sheep says baa! From the author of Whose Baby Am I?comes this charming, interactive picture book that introduces baby animals and the noises they make. With this book's large, lovable illustrations and a guessing-game format similar to Whose Baby Am I?, toddlers will love learning who says quack, who says baa, and lots more.
- Barnyard Banter byCall Number: JP FlemingISBN: 080501957xPublication Date: 1994-04-15This farm favorite is now a board book, perfect for preschoolers. "Cows in the pasture, moo, moo, moo. Roosters in the barnyard, cock-a-doodle-doo . . ." It's another noisy morning on the farm, and all of the animals are where they should be - except Goose. And where is Goose? Young children will enjoy clucking, mucking, mewing, and cooing while they search for Goose on every gorgeously illustrated spread.
- What Does the Rabbit Say? byCall Number: JP HallISBN: 0385325525Publication Date: 2000-03-07A merry, rhythmic rhyming text follows a boy and girl who ask what sound their pet rabbit makes. As they name many animals and their sounds--ducks quack, cows moo, chickens cluck, doves coo--the children imitate the other animals while they play with their rabbit. And though he is silent, he is still their favorite animal of all. The short, simple rhymes, plenty of fun animal noises to join in on, and animal poses to imitate, combine to create an engagingly playful book for toddlers.
- Hoot, Howl, Hiss byCall Number: JP KochISBN: 0688096514Publication Date: 1991-08-01Depicts the sounds that animals make in the woods, by the pond, in the jungle, at the farm, and in the mountains.
- Oink! Moo! How Do You Do? byISBN: 9780590206556Publication Date: 1994-09-01
- Mung-Mung! byISBN: 9781570914867Publication Date: 2004-02-01Dogs say woof-woof, don't they? Not in Korean they don't (mung-mung). Take a trip around the world with this clever international guide to animal noises. Each spread presents a variety of sounds little ones will enjoy imitating. Older kids will delight in trying to guess the animal. Lift the flap to see whimsical illustrations of, for instance, a purple circus horse (ee-ha-ha in Polish). In this enchanting peek-a-boo book babies can imitate animal sounds in 19 languages. What kind of animal says GAV-GAV in Russian, Bo-Bo in Hindi, and WOW-WOW in Spanish? Make a guess, then lift the flap.
- Mommies Say Shhh! byISBN: 9780399243417Publication Date: 2005-02-17Goats say "Maa-Maa-Maa." Birds say "Cheep-Cheep-Cheep." Horses say "Neigh-Neigh-Neigh." Rabbits say nothing at all! But when all of these animals get together and raise a honking, braying, neighing ruckus, what do mommies say? "Shhhhhh!" With the simplest of texts and a variety of fun animal noises, Patricia Polacco has created another read-aloud winner for the preschool crowd.
- Buster's Echo byISBN: 9780060228835Publication Date: 1995-12-01When a giant squid takes inventory of all of the creatures in the ocean, he realizes that he's way bigger than most of them! Of course, there are bigger things lurking around . . . but maybe this giant squid with a giant touch of hubris doesn't really care? First-time author-illustrator Kevin Sherry is sure to garner fans of all sizes for his perfect-for-preschool read-aloud with simple text, bold and delightful collage art, and a lovable squid whose spirit just cannot be crushed.
- Do Monkeys Tweet? byISBN: 9780395850817Publication Date: 1997-09-29Monkeys never tweet, birds do! But...have you ever heard a horse bark?Or a butterfly growl?Or even a rabbit go oink?Check inside for sure!