Moffat Library Databases: Recreation & Hobbies
- The Wargaming Compendium byCall Number: 793.92 HYDPublication Date: 2013-08-19This book gives a complete introduction to the hobby of wargaming with miniatures, especially suitable for the newcomer but also containing sufficient depth and breadth of information to attract the more experienced gamer. Packed with color photographs, maps and diagrams, the book is a visual treat, but one built on the solid foundations of a highly literate and engaging text that does not 'dumb down' the hobby.
- The Backyard Bird Lover's Ultimate How-To Guide byCall Number: 598.072 ROTPublication Date: 2010-07-06The Back Yard Bird presents a guide to creating a bird-friendly backyard, providing advice on everything from choosing bird houses and offering specific birdseed mixes to preparing home-made suet blocks and creating shelters for habitat-threatened species.
- The World Encyclopedia of Stamps and Stamp Collecting byISBN: 9781846818837Publication Date: 2016-03-07A fascinating history of collecting, visual directory of stamps, and guidance on acquiring your own.
- Heirloom Wood byISBN: 9781419724763Publication Date: 2017-03-28Heirloom Wood combines traditional techniques with contemporary design, teaching you how to identify wood types, source timber, and set up a basic toolbox, then offering step-by-step carving and cutting techniques for making your own pieces. With little experience and very few tools, you'll learn to create hand-carved bowls, cutting boards, spoons, knives, and spatulas, perfect for adding a touch of the handmade to your home.
- Simple Printmaking byISBN: 9781579901585Publication Date: 2000-12-31Relief prints have a classic, almost folk art look that is universally appealing. With this informative introduction, crafters and beginning artists alike can create handsome designs and well-decorated objects.
Family Fun Pass
- Family Fun Pass at the Moffat LibraryThe Moffat Library circulates a family pass to selected museums and other educational and fun activities within a comfortable drive from Washingtonville. The passes entitle you to discounts and/or free admission. Rules for each site differ. Ask at the Circulation Desk for details.
Hudson Valley Area Recreation Resources
- NY Historic SitesVisit New York's historic sites to experience the state's rich cultural heritage
- NY NJ Trail ConferenceResources for local hiking trails in the state parks of New York and New Jersey
- Storm King Adventure ToursKayak to different sites (like Bannerman's Island or Plum Point!) on the Hudson River with Storm King Adventure tours.
Hiking & Biking Through New York
- The Adirondack Book byCall Number: 917.475 STOPublication Date: 2008-04-17While there are numerous guidebooks focusing on outdoor activities in the vast Adirondack Park, this is a completely updated handbook to the historic, cultural, geographic, lodging, dining, shopping, and recreational opportunities that abound in the park and its gateway cities, including Saratoga Springs and Glen Falls.
- Hiking Through History New York byCall Number: 917.47 MINPublication Date: 2016-09-01Hiking through History New York profiles forty hikes, going beyond stating miles and directions for each hike to include rich descriptions of the history underfoot. Whether you're a curious tourist or a local history buff, this is a comprehensive guidebook to the area's natural and human history.
- Catskill Mountain Guide, 3rd byCall Number: 917.473 KIC 2014Publication Date: 2014-03-04This updated trail guide is geared towards intermediate-to-expert hikers, detailing every public hiking trail in the Catskill Park. Trek through some of the area’s most scenic destinations with the help of trail directions, suggested hikes, and a full-color pull-out topographic trail map.
- Hudson Valley and the Catskills byCall Number: 917.473 ITO 2015Publication Date: 2015-06-02The Hudson Valley is a breath of fresh air: explore historic estates, hike wild mountain terrain, and bask in small-town charm with Moon Hudson Valley & the Catskills guide.
- Paths along the Hudson byCall Number: 917.473 PERPublication Date: 1999-11-01Whether you are an ardent hiker or prefer to enjoy the great outdoors from your living-room armchair, Jeffrey Perls has written the essential guidebook on one of the most majestic natural areas of the eastern United States-the Hudson River.
- 25 Bicycle Tours in the Hudson Valley byCall Number: 917.473 STOPublication Date: 1996-09-1725 Bicycle Tours in the Hudson Valley gets you to the quiet routes through the rolling farmlands and stunning vistas that grace the region. Some tours are gentle; others are more strenuous; and then there are the full-body-experience tours that tackle the escarpment of the great river, challenging the cardiovascular system with steep climbs, tickling the adrenal glands with thrilling descents, and expanding the spirit with unsurpassed views.