Opened in 1897, Downing Park was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux, the designers of New York City's Central Park. The two men agreed to give their design to Newburgh if the city would name the new park after their mentor, A.J. Downing. Olmstead's and Vaux's sons, John Olmstead and Downing Vaux, also worked on the park's design.
Mayor Benjamin B. Odell acquires 25 acre Smith farm to build a park, later adding 10 more acres
|Design commission is offered to Olmstead and Vaux
|Downing Park opens
|Architect Frank Estabrook design pergola to be build on foundations of original Smith farmhouse foundations.
|Shelter House designed by Gordon Marvel
|Outdoor amphitheater built
|Downing Park Planning Committee contracted with Landscapes, Inc. to create a Master Plan to guide the rehabilitation of the park
|Rehabilitation work on walkways, lighting, curbs, paving, flowering trees and shrubs
|Shelter House Cafe opens