Youth Services: Battle of the Books
What is Battle of the Books?
Battle of the Books is a college bowl-type program for teens entering 6th through the 12th grade. Participants in the RCLS program read eight preselected titles and then participate in trivia battles based on the books at a Regional Battle usually in early September. The goal of the program is to promote a love of reading in teens, to expose them to titles and authors that they might not encounter otherwise, to encourage them to think of their local public library as a resource for entertainment and to inspire teamwork and good sportsmanship in an atmosphere of friendly competition. The titles for the program are chosen by representatives from the participating libraries. Care is taken to include a variety of genres.
2023 Battle of the Books Titles
- The Giver byCall Number: CLASSICISBN: 9780547995663Publication Date: 2012-09-25
- With the Fire on High byCall Number: CONTEMPORARYISBN: 9780062662835Publication Date: 2019-05-07
- The Last Cuentista byCall Number: SCIFIISBN: 9781646140893Publication Date: 2021-10-12
- Heartstopper byCall Number: GRAPHIC NOVEL #1ISBN: 9781338617436Publication Date: 2020-05-05
- Heartstopper byCall Number: GRAPHIC NOVEL #2ISBN: 9781338617498Publication Date: 2020-11-10
- Concrete Rose byCall Number: HISTORICAL FICTIONISBN: 9780062846716Publication Date: 2021-01-12
- Tweet Cute byCall Number: HUMORISBN: 9781250237323Publication Date: 2020-01-21
- Firekeeper's Daughter byCall Number: MYSTERYISBN: 9781250766564Publication Date: 2021-03-16
- Almost American Girl byCall Number: NONFICTIONISBN: 9780062685100Publication Date: 2020-01-28
2022 Battle of the Books
Congratulations 2022 Regional Battle Winners!
First Place: Finkelstein Memorial Library, Spring Valley
Second Place: Daniel Pierce Library, Grahamsville
Third Place: Middletown, Thrall Library
Thank you to all of the teens, coaches, and volunteers that made the 2022 Battle of the Books possible!
Battle of the Books Resources
2023 Author Pronunciations Coming Soon