If You Like Game of Thrones: Fantasy and SF Series
Fantasy or SciFi Series - 1st book at PRPL
Pearl River Public Library may not own all volumes in these series.
- Feast of Souls (Magister Trilogy, Book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy FRIISBN: 9780756404321Publication Date: 2007
- Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth series, book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy GOOISBN: 9780312857059Publication Date: 1994
- The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy JORISBN: 9780812511819Publication Date: 1990
- The Outstretched Shadow (The Obsidian Trilogy, Book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy LACISBN: 9780765302199Publication Date: 2003
- The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentlemen Bastard, Book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy LYNISBN: 0553804677Publication Date: 2006
- The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller chronicle series, book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy ROTISBN: 9780756404079Publication Date: 2007
- The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) byCall Number: A PB SFF SANISBN: 9780765311788Publication Date: 2006-07-25
- The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy SANISBN: 9780765326355Publication Date: 2010
- Shadowmarch (Shadowmarch, book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy WILISBN: 9780756402198Publication Date: 2004
Other Classic Series
Anne McCaffery- McCaffery is a well-known and loved author in the sci-fi/fantasy world, with her Dragonriders of Pern series being one of the few that truly inhabits both worlds with ease. Book 1 -- Dragonflight.
Ursula K. Le Guin- Le Guin’s Earthsea Cycle (originally a trilogy, later expanded) is a wonderful introduction to epic fantasy beginning with the first book, A Wizard of Earthsea, a coming of age tale about a young wizard’s apprentice, Sparrowhawk.
J.R.R. Tolkien The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit
The classic high fantasy good vs. evil battle in a world that resembles medieval Europe. Not as much political intrigue, but plenty of bloodshed, suspense, and even—in the case of The Hobbit—dragons.
- If you like Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin/LibrarypointIf you enjoyed the violent world and vivid atmosphere of Martin's work, here are some other titles you may enjoy these titles.
- The Bone Ships by A brilliantly imagined saga of honor, glory, and warfare, The Bone Ships is the epic launch of a new fantasy from David Gemmell Award-nominated RJ Barker. Two nations at war. One prize beyond compare. For generations, the Hundred Isles have built their ships from the bones of ancient dragons to fight an endless war. The dragons disappeared, but the battles for supremacy persisted. Now the first dragon in centuries has been spotted in far-off waters, and both sides see a chance to shift the balance of power in their favour. Because whoever catches it will win not only glory, but the war. Praise for The Bone Ships: "A vividly realized high-seas epic that pulls you deep into its world and keeps you tangled there until the very last word." --Evan Winter, author of The Rage of Dragons "The Bone Ships is excellent. Aside from the standout writing, it's one of the most interesting and original fantasy worlds I've seen in years." --Adrian Tchaikovsky, Arthur C. Clarke Award-winning author The Tide Child Trilogy The Bone Ships For more from RJ Barker, check out: The Wounded Kingdom Age of Assassins Blood of Assassins King of AssassinsISBN: 9780316487962Publication Date: 2019-09-24
- The Throne of the Five Winds by Two queens, two concubines, six princes. Innumerable secret agendas. A single hidden blade. The imperial palace -- full of ambitious royals, sly gossip, and unforeseen perils -- is perhaps the most dangerous place in the Empire of Zhaon. Komor Yala, lady-in-waiting to the princess of the vanquished kingdom of Khir, has only her wits and her hidden blade to protect herself and her charge, who was sacrificed in marriage to the enemy as a hostage for her conquered people's good behavior, to secure a tenuous peace. But the Emperor is aging, and the Khir princess and her lady-in-waiting soon find themselves pawns in the six princes' deadly schemes for the throne -- and a single spark could ignite fresh rebellion in Khir. Then, the Emperor falls ill -- and a far bloodier game begins... The Throne of the Five Winds is the first installment of the Hostage of Empire series, an intricate and ruthless East Asia-inspired epic fantasy trilogy perfect for fans of George R. R. Martin, Ken Liu, Kate Elliott, and K. Arsenault Rivera.ISBN: 9780316436946Publication Date: 2019-10-15
- Black Leopard, Red Wolf by The epic novel, an African Game of Thrones, from the Man Booker Prize-winning author of A Brief History of Seven Killings In the stunning first novel in Marlon James's Dark Star trilogy, myth, fantasy, and history come together to explore what happens when a mercenary is hired to find a missing child. Tracker is known far and wide for his skills as a hunter: "He has a nose," people say. Engaged to track down a mysterious boy who disappeared three years earlier, Tracker breaks his own rule of always working alone when he finds himself part of a group that comes together to search for the boy. The band is a hodgepodge, full of unusual characters with secrets of their own, including a shape-shifting man-animal known as Leopard. As Tracker follows the boy's scent--from one ancient city to another; into dense forests and across deep rivers--he and the band are set upon by creatures intent on destroying them. As he struggles to survive, Tracker starts to wonder: Who, really, is this boy? Why has he been missing for so long? Why do so many people want to keep Tracker from finding him? And perhaps the most important questions of all: Who is telling the truth, and who is lying? Drawing from African history and mythology and his own rich imagination, Marlon James has written a novel unlike anything that's come before it: a saga of breathtaking adventure that's also an ambitious, involving read. Defying categorization and full of unforgettable characters, Black Leopard, Red Wolf is both surprising and profound as it explores the fundamentals of truth, the limits of power, and our need to understand them both.Call Number: Fantasy JAMISBN: 9780735220171Publication Date: 2019-02-05
Extra George R.R. Martin
"This is the comprehensive guide to all things Game of Thrones and beyond. From the prehistory to the coming of the First Men, through the reign of the Targaryen kings and Robert's Rebellion, this guide--co-written by George R.R. Martin and the immensely knowledgeable founders and keepers of the www.westeros.org site--will tell series readers old and new all they might want to know about the history and culture of Westeros and the lands beyond the Narrow Sea--a tapestry of all new history that George has invented solely for this volume."
- A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER Taking place nearly a century before the events of A Game of Thrones, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms compiles the first three official prequel novellas to George R. R. Martin's ongoing masterwork, A Song of Ice and Fire. These never-before-collected adventures recount an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne, and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living consciousness. Before Tyrion Lannister and Podrick Payne, there was Dunk and Egg. A young, naïve but ultimately courageous hedge knight, Ser Duncan the Tall towers above his rivals--in stature if not experience. Tagging along is his diminutive squire, a boy called Egg--whose true name is hidden from all he and Dunk encounter. Though more improbable heroes may not be found in all of Westeros, great destinies lay ahead for these two . . . as do powerful foes, royal intrigue, and outrageous exploits. Featuring more than 160 all-new illustrations by Gary Gianni, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is a must-have collection that proves chivalry isn't dead--yet.Call Number: Fantasy MARISBN: 9780345533487Publication Date: 2015
Pearl River may own some titles in these series, but not the first volume.
- The Darkness That Comes Before (Prince of Nothing, book 1) byISBN: 9781585675593Publication Date: 2004
- Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, Book 1) byISBN: 9780441011995Publication Date: 2004
- Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy, Book 1) byISBN: 0312872380Publication Date: 2001
- Shadowfall (The Godslay chronicles, Book 1) byISBN: 9780451459947Publication Date: 2005
- The Belgariad, Vol. 1 (Books 1-3): Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit byISBN: 9780345456328Publication Date: 2002-08-27
- Magician Apprentice (Riftwar cycle, book 1) byISBN: 9780553564945Publication Date: 1993
- Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1) byISBN: 9780553374452Publication Date: 1995
- The Briar King (The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, Book 1) byISBN: 9780345440662Publication Date: 2003
- Winterbirth (The Godless World, book 1) byISBN: 0316067695Publication Date: 2007
- The One Kingdom (Swans War, book 1) byISBN: 9780380974894Publication Date: 2001
- The Lightstone (The Ea Cycle, book 1) byCall Number: Fantasy ZINISBN: 9780765311290Publication Date: 2006