It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Teen Corner: Volunteer - Book Hours
Your one stop shop for teen & tween reading, volunteering, activities, and more!
Volunteering in 2020-2021
Our teen volunteering is going virtual this year! Teens currently attending Middle School and High School (or the home school equivalent) will be able to earn community service hours online by helping the Library build the Teen Reads resource. For more information, review the Book Hours Rules below.
Volunteer Program Rules
BOOK HOURS - RULES
Please read carefully before writing and submitting a recommendation form to the library.
If you have any questions, contact Emily at email@example.com.
- Volunteers must currently be attending middle school or high school (or home school equivalent), possess a Moffat Library Card, and be current residents of the Washingtonville School District to be eligible for Community Service credit with the library. If you do not have a library card, visit https://moffatlibrary.org/library-card-sign-up/ to sign up online.
- Fill out the form on this page completely and proofread carefully before submitting. Reviews with major grammar or spelling errors, as well as forms which are not completely filled out will be returned for you to correct.
- Reviews should be of books written for Teens and Tweens. If you are reviewing a book for adults, please make a note of that in your review so that we can indicate the age group on the website.
- Reviews should be SPOILER FREE. Don't spoil the fun of reading the book for other people! *Note--you can still tell people what the book is about; just don't away any of the surprises!*
- Keep it clean! Reviews which contain inappropriate language will be returned for you to correct.
- Volunteers submitting reviews which contain hate speech of any kind or that have been in any way plagiarized will be permanently disqualified from participating in the Book Hours volunteer program.
- Book Hours should not be viewed as an immediate way to earn Community Service. Community Service hours will be given after your review is approved by the Library. Please allow 7 days for a submission to be reviewed.
- Community Service certificates will be sent to you by request only. If you need a form signed for school, etc. please contact Emily so we can make arrangements. Please allow 7 days for turn around.
- Volunteers can submit as many recommendations as they are able so long as they maintain a good standard of thought and writing in their reviews. Each approved review will earn you one hour of community service per 100 pages in the book reviewed. For example: 107 pages = 1 hour of community service. 558 pages = 5 hours of community service.