Senior Citizen Resources: Newburgh Library Services
Large Print Books
A large print book collection is available on the Main level of the Library. It includes Fiction, Non-Fiction and Biographies.
- Anthem by The first big novel of 2022: an epic literary thriller set where America is right now, in which a band of unlikely heroes sets out on a quest to save one innocent life--and might end up saving us all. Something is happening to teenagers across America, spreading through memes only they can parse. At the Float Anxiety Abatement Center, in a suburb of Chicago, Simon Oliver is trying to recover from his sister's tragic passing. He breaks out to join a woman named Louise and a man called The Prophet on a quest as urgent as it is enigmatic. Who lies at the end of the road? A man known as The Wizard, whose past encounter with Louise sparked her own collapse. Their quest becomes a rescue mission when they join up with a man whose sister is being held captive by the Wizard, impregnated and imprisoned in a tower. Noah Hawley's new novel is an adventure that finds unquenchable lights in dark corners. Unforgettably vivid characters and a plot as fast and bright as pop cinema blend in a Vonnegutian story that is as timeless as a Grimm's fairy tale. It is a leap into the idiosyncratic pulse of the American heart, written with the bravado, literary power, and feverish foresight that have made Hawley one of our most essential writers.ISBN: 9781538710234Publication Date: 2022-01-18
- Violeta [English Edition] by This sweeping novel from the New York Times bestselling author of A Long Petal of the Sea tells the epic story of Violeta Del Valle, a woman whose life spans one hundred years and bears witness to the greatest upheavals of the twentieth century. Violeta comes into the world on a stormy day in 1920, the first girl in a family with five boisterous sons. From the start, her life is marked by extraordinary events, for the ripples of the Great War are still being felt, even as the Spanish flu arrives on the shores of her South American homeland almost at the moment of her birth. Through her father's prescience, the family will come through that crisis unscathed, only to face a new one as the Great Depression transforms the genteel city life she has known. Her family loses everything and is forced to retreat to a wild and beautiful but remote part of the country. There, she will come of age, and her first suitor will come calling. She tells her story in the form of a letter to someone she loves above all others, recounting times of devastating heartbreak and passionate affairs, poverty and wealth, terrible loss and immense joy. Her life is shaped by some of the most important events of history: the fight for women's rights, the rise and fall of tyrants, and ultimately not one, but two pandemics. Through the eyes of a woman whose unforgettable passion, determination, and sense of humor carry her through a lifetime of upheaval, Isabel Allende once more brings us an epic that is both fiercely inspiring and deeply emotional.ISBN: 9780593558713Publication Date: 2022-02-22
- The Horsewoman by Emotions rule us all--and turn two women's lives into a ride they can barely control in this "hugely entertaining, riveting page-turner." --#1 bestselling author Louise Penny Maggie Atwood and Becky McCabe, mother and daughter, both champion riders, vowed to never, ever, go up against one another. Until the tense, harrowing competitions leading to the Paris Olympics. Mother and daughter share a dream: to be the best horsewoman in the world. Coronado is Maggie's horse. An absolutely top-tier Belgian warmblood. Sky is Becky's horse. A small, speedy Dutch warmblood. Only James Patterson could bring you such breakneck speed, hair-raising thrills and spills. Only hall of fame sportswriter Mike Lupica could make it all so real.ISBN: 9780316301626Publication Date: 2022-01-10
- The Secret of Snow by When Sonny Dunes, a SoCal meteorologist whose job is all sunshine and seventy-two-degree days, is replaced by a virtual meteorologist that will never age, gain weight or renegotiate its contract, the only station willing to give the fifty-year-old another shot is the very place Sonny's been avoiding since the day she left for college -- her northern Michigan hometown.ISBN: 9781638081647Publication Date: 2022-01-01
The library offers audiobooks in cassette tape or CD format. We also have downloadable ebooks and audiobooks for your computer or a portable device.
Homebound Delivery Service
The Library offers a Homebound Delivery Service for members of our community who cannot visit the library due to illness, disability, or age. This free service helps allows residents in the Newburgh Enlarged City School District to receive library materials through the U.S. Postal Service.
Newburgh Free Library Address and Contact Information
- Main Library124 Grand Street
- Town of Newburgh Branch Library1401 NY-300 (located inside the Newburgh Mall)
Selected Books from the Library
- The Energy Paradox by The author of the bestselling Plant Paradox series takes a fresh look at one of the top health issues plaguing Americans--fatigue--and offers a revolutionary plan for boosting energy and revitalizing mental and physical stamina. In his bestselling books, The Plant Paradox and The Longevity Paradox, Dr. Steven R. Gundry offered game-changing perspectives on our wellbeing. In The Energy Paradox, Dr. Gundry expands upon his previous discussions of gut, microbiome, and mitochondrial health, linking immune malfunction to the mental and physical symptoms of fatigue--including exhaustion, brain fog, depression, anxiety, and low metabolism. As Dr. Gundry explains, feeling tired, moody, and zapped of energy is not normal, no matter your workload or age. Fatigue is an SOS flare from the body, one that is intended to alert us that something is wrong. In his clinical work, Dr. Gundry has found that his patients who complain of feeling sick and tired all the time almost always have something in common: the inflammation markers of a leaky gut. In The Energy Paradox, Dr. Gundry will offer readers the information and tools necessary to quiet the autoimmune battle raging within--a battle that depletes precious energy reserves, leaving you drained and prone to mood disorders and weight gain. With new guidelines on how to increase mitochondrial energy production and nourish the microbiome; 30 new Plant Paradox-approved recipes; and lists of energy-boosting foods to consume and energy-depleting foods to avoid, The Energy Paradox will help readers take back their lives, giving them the energy they need to feel, look, and be their best. ISBN: 0063005735Publication Date: 2021-03-16
- Redhead by the Side of the Road by From the beloved and bestselling Anne Tyler, a sparkling new novel about misperception, second chances and the sometimes elusive power of human connection. Micah Mortimer is a creature of habit. A self-employed tech expert, superintendent of his Baltimore apartment building, cautious to a fault behind the steering wheel, he seems content leading a steady, circumscribed life. But one day his routines are blown apart when his woman friend (he refuses to call anyone in her late thirties a "girlfriend") tells him she's facing eviction, and a teenager shows up at Micah's door claiming to be his son. These surprises, and the ways they throw Micah's meticulously organized life off-kilter, risk changing him forever. An intimate look into the heart and mind of a man who finds those around him just out of reach, and a funny, joyful, deeply compassionate story about seeing the world through new eyes, Redhead by the Side of the Road is a triumph, filled with Anne Tyler's signature wit and gimlet-eyed observation.ISBN: 9780385694858Publication Date: 2020-04-01
- Keep Sharp by Keep your brain young, healthy, and sharp with this science-driven guide to protecting your mind from decline by neurosurgeon and CNN chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Throughout our life, we look for ways to keep our minds sharp and effortlessly productive. Now, globetrotting neurosurgeon Dr. Sanjay Gupta offers "the book all of us need, young and old" (Walter Isaacson, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Code Breaker) with insights from top scientists all over the world, whose cutting-edge research can help you heighten and protect brain function and maintain cognitive health at any age. Keep Sharp debunks common myths about aging and mental decline, explores whether there's a "best" diet or exercise regimen for the brain, and explains whether it's healthier to play video games that test memory and processing speed, or to engage in more social interaction. Discover what we can learn from "super-brained" people who are in their eighties and nineties with no signs of slowing down--and whether there are truly any benefits to drugs, supplements, and vitamins. Dr. Gupta also addresses brain disease, particularly Alzheimer's, answers all your questions about the signs and symptoms, and shows how to ward against it and stay healthy while caring for a partner in cognitive decline. He likewise provides you with a personalized twelve-week program featuring practical strategies to strengthen your brain every day. Keep Sharp is the "must-read owner's manual" (Arianna Huffington) you'll need to keep your brain young and healthy regardless of your age!ISBN: 9781501166730Publication Date: 2021-01-05
- I'm Too Young to Be Seventy by The beloved author of Forever Fifty and Suddenly Sixty tackles the ins and outs of becoming a septuagenarian with wry good humor. Fans of Viorst's funny, touching, and wise decades poems will love these verses filled with witty advice and reflections on marriage, milestones, and middle-aged children. Viorst explores, among the many other issues of this stage of life, the state of our sex lives and teeth, how we can stay married though thermostatically incompatible, and the joys of grandparenthood and shopping. Readers will nod with rueful recognition when she asks, "Am I required to think of myself as a basically shallow woman because I feel better when my hair looks good?," when she presses a few helpful suggestions on her kids because "they may be middle aged, but they're still my children," and when she graciously--but not too graciously--selects her husband's next mate in a poem deliciously subtitled "If I Should Die Before I Wake, Here's the Wife You Next Should Take." Though Viorst acknowledges she is definitely not a good sport about the fact that she is mortal, her poems are full of the pleasures of life right now, helping us come to terms with the passage of time, encouraging us to keep trying to fix the world, and inviting us to consider "drinking wine, making love, laughing hard, caring hard, and learning a new trick or two as part of our job description at seventy." I'm Too Young to Be Seventy is a joy to read and makes a heartwarming gift for anyone who has reached or is soon to reach that--it's not so bad after all--seventh decade.ISBN: 9780743267748Publication Date: 2005-10-12
- The Dumb Things Smart People Do with Their Money byISBN: 0525622179Publication Date: 2019-02-05
- Personal Finance After 50 byISBN: 9781119543633Publication Date: 2018-09-05
- Successful Aging byISBN: 1524744182Publication Date: 2020-01-07
Tech Support at the Library
How to Make an Appointment with our Technology Librarian
Town Branch (Newburgh Mall)
Check our Calendar of Events for date changes and to register for classes, or phone 563-3618 for information.