Do-it-Yourself Legal Resources: Getting Started
A guide to free legal resources
Definitions and Explanations
- Nolo's Free Dictionary of Law Terms and Legal DefinitionsFind plain-English definitions for legal terms by searching or browsing Nolo's Plain-English Law Dictionary.
- Topical Articles from NOLOarticles on everyday legal topics written in plain Englsih
- NYS Department of StateThe official compiler of state agency rules and regulations
- Federal Courtscourt types, roles and structure
- NYS CourtsCourt locator (by county), specialized courts, appellate courts, local courts, NYC courts; overview, structure and history of courts in NYS.
Foreign Law @Law Library of Congress
- Foreign Law Research GuidesIndividual guides for a selection of countries; each guide includes an introduction to the legal system, official sources of law, print /web resources.
Featured Books available at the Newburgh Free Library
- American Law 101 byISBN: 9781627228589Publication Date: 2015-11-07
- Black's Law Dictionary byISBN: 9780314621306Publication Date: 2014-01-01
- Legal Reference for Librarians byISBN: 9780838911174Publication Date: 2014-01-01
- Legal Research: How to Find & Understand the Law byCall Number: 340.072 ELI 2015ISBN: 9781413321821Publication Date: 2015-08-15
- The Oxford Guide to United States Supreme Court Decisions byCall Number: Ref 348.734 OXFISBN: 9780195379396Publication Date: 2009-03-11
- Finding the Answers to Legal Questions byISBN: 9781555707187Publication Date: 2010-10-01
Learn About the Law
- FindLawLegal information, legal news, and lawyer profiles
- Learn about the LawYour legal rights, common legal issues and legal help
Free and Low Cost Legal Help
- Dispute Resolution CenterMediation for families and youth: custody visitation, divorce and separation, and many more.
- Free Legal Advice in 100+ Law TopicsLearn about the law, ask questions, find a lawyer
- Free Legal AnswersEligible New Yorkers can ask volunteer attorneys about their non-criminal legal issue from this NYS Bar Association website.
- Legal Services of the Hudson ValleyProvides comprehensive civil legal services to the lower Hudson Valley. Multi-language staff on-site.
- New York Law HelpFind free legal aid in New York and information about your legal rights, courts, and more.
- NY CourtHelp - A website for unrepresented New YorkersFree and easy computer programs you can use yourself to make court forms or learn information about your legal problem
- Google ScholarSearching for legal opinions, journal articles, case decisions, patents, and more...
- New York Official Reports: Legal Research PortalA comprehensive range of federal and state court resources including NY court decisions, links to US Supreme Court, forms, and more.
- NYS Supreme Court Help Centerhow to commence cases
how to answer cases
basics of filling out court forms
referrals to appropriate state agencies and community organizations
finding the appropriate court
- Westlawresearch US court cases, statutes and laws. Includes state primary law and binding federal primary law. For help with legal research and searching Westlaw, call Westlaw's Reference Attorneys at 1-800-733-2889, available 24 hours a day..