Researching Your House History: a guide to resources from The Nyack Library: Home
This guide will help you get started researching your house.
Winter 2012 Historical Society of the Nyacks newsletter
- Winter 2012 Historical Society of the Nyacks newsletter on local architectural historyThe Winter 2012 newsletter features a few articles on the architectural history of the Nyacks.
Survey of Historic Buildings, Village of Nyack
- Survey of Historic Buildings Village of Nyack, New York byCall Number: 720 NIEWhile this survey does not include all the properties in the Village of Nyack, it does contain many of the historic properties. If you live in the village of Nyack this is the first place to start your research. If you are lucky enough to have your property listed here then much of your work has already been done.
Streets with Historic Houses
- Streets in the three Nyacks showing historic housesJean Pardo compiled this list by checking the following sources: (N&R) Nieweg & Riemann , (VP) Virginia Parkhurst clipping files, (WT) Walking tour guide of Friends of the Nyacks, (HD) 1983 Proposed historic district.
Historical Society House Tour Booklets
The Nyack Library has a collection of house tour booklets from The Historical Society of the Nyacks and The Historical Society of Rockland County in our pamphlet files. Any house that was on a tour would have a brief history in these booklets.
- Historical Society of the Nyacks House ToursThis document was created by Historical Society of the Nyacks trustee and South Nyack Village Historian, Myra Starr.
Local History Department Video
General House History Books
These books are a good place to start your research.
- House Histories: a Guide to the Genealogy of Your Home byCall Number: 728.37 LIGISBN: 0961487615
- Houses and Homes: Exploring Their History byCall Number: 307.336 HOUISBN: 0761989293
- How Old is this House byCall Number: 728.028 HOWISBN: 0374521794
- Field Guide to American Houses byCall Number: 728.0973 MCAISBN: 0394739698
- Pre-Revolutionary Dutch Houses and Families in Northern New Jersey and Southern New York byCall Number: 974.9 BAI
- Discovering the History of your House and your Neighborhood byCall Number: 907.2 GREISBN: 9781891661242
- What Style Is It: A Guide to American Architecture byCall Number: 720.973 POPISBN: 9780471250364Publication Date: 2003
Donate Records, Books, and Papers to the local history collection
- Deed of Gift form for The Nyack Library local history collectionDo you have photographs, records, or papers that you would like to donate to the library. Print out and then fill in the form below. Contact local history librarian Brian Jennings if you have questions. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allen's Hackensack & Englewood & Bergen County Directory, Nyack, NY Directory, 1897Call Number: 317.4728 DIR
- Breed's Directory of the Nyacks and PiermontCall Number: 317.4728 DIR1902-03; 1904-05; 1906-07; 1909-10
- Richmond's Directory of Nyack, Upper Nyack, South Nyack, Central Nyack, Grand View, Piermont, and Spark HillCall Number: 317.4728 RIC1914-1915; 1916-1917; 1924-25; 1928-29