Government Information: US Government Information
The Newburgh Free Library is a selective Federal Depository Library
The Newburgh Free Library has been a selective Federal Depository Library since the FDLPs reorganization in 1909. Historically, we have collected federal documents in the following subject areas: business & economy, education health & safety, politics and law. We have also been a NYS depository library since its reorganization in 1989. Today, both the Federal and New York State depository systems are mostly made up of digital documents. The links below can be used to begin your digital document search. Do not hesitate to contact the government documents librarian at the Newburgh Free Library at 845-563-3617 if you need further assistance.
For New York State Documents, you may also try calling the New York State Library. Their reference help desk can be reached by calling 518-474-5355.
- Deployment HandbooksDeployment Handbooks for families for various branches of the military.
- Returning Service MembersVA homepage
- Your Money, Your Goals ToolkitLinks to help you budget and plan for the future. Great tool for Smart Money Week.
- Federal SBA SiteFederal Small Business Administration
- Small Bus Development CentersLocal Small Business Development Centers
- Complaint Assistant (FTC)Submit a complaint to the FTC about consumer fraud and abuse
- Credit Report, FreeYou're entitled to one free copy of your credit report every 12 months from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies
- Food Standards and Labeling PolicyUSDA Food Safety and Inspection Service
- U.S. Agriculture DepartmentThe U. S. Agriculture Department. Includes the Agricultural Yearbook.
- Benefits.govFormerly entitled Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA), the database now goes by the title "Assistance Links" - your one stop for Federal grant information.
- Census ReporterThis link can be used to explore community demographics by city or zip code. The data covers population, age & demographic breakdown, household income, poverty rate, educational attainment rate & more.
- Documents to the PeoplePublished by ALA , this serial discusses Federal Government Documents and other documents.
- FDLP Collections and DatabasesThe core collection of Federal Government Documents suggested for depository libraries
- Federal Libraries DirectoryLink to Gov Info and Military Liibraries.
- New York State Digital CollectionsNew York State Library Digital Online Collections
- U.S. Health and Human ServicesGuidance on staying healthy.
- US. Government ManualThe official handbook of the Federal Government, Provides information on the agencies of the legislative, judicial, and executive branches. Includes information on quasi-official agencies; international organizations in which the United States participates; and boards, commissions, and committees.
How Do I...?
- ...Apply for copyrightU.S. Copyright Office
- ...Apply for Federal Student AidFASA form and how to apply for student loan forgiveness
- ...Apply for Social SecurityApplly for Social Security through the SSA
- ...Get Military Service Recordform to request military service record
- ...Report a Death to Social SecuritySocial Security Survivor Benefits
- ...Research a DiseaseCenters for Disease Control
- ...Research Boating Safety and RecallsU.S. Coast Guard Library
- ...Research Food & Product RecallsRecalls.gov with listings of recalls for safety issues from six Federal Departments.
- Fed Agency LinksFederal agencies by by department
- Federal Gov Book TalkA weekly blog post regarding how users can research current topics of interest using government documents.
- GPO Product PurchasingPurchase documents
- State Agency DatabasesFederal Agencies available by State.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics / Monthly Labor ReviewBureau of Labor Statistics
- President Trump-Ukraine Impeachment InquiryText of the Impeachment Inquiry of President Donald J. Trump in the House of Representatives.
- U.S. Dept. of StateCountry Fact Sheets has replaced Background Notes that focus on US bilateral relations.
- COVID - 19 Info from the Centers for Disease ControlInformation from the Federal Government regarding coronavirus as the national health emergency sunsets.
- Diseases and ConditionsCDC A-z index
- Health and Human Services DeptDept of Health & Human Services
- OSHA Rules & RegulationsOccupational Safety & Health Administration updated rules & regulations website. Check this website for OSHA publications we previously received in DVD format.
- Federal Code of RegulationsCode of Federal Regulations via Gov Doc Info.
- U.S. Constitution AnnotatedUpdated U.S. Constitution Annotated formerly in tangible format under the title Analysis & Interpretation of the U.S. Constitution
- U.S. House of RepresentativesHow a Law is Made, Congresspeople, Committes, Congressional Directory