The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder has been optioned by Apple TV+. The movie will be directed by Martin Scorsese and star Leonardo DiCaprio.
Source: The Book Club Guide
1. Why did the Wager crash? Was the expedition of the Wager destined to fail? Why or why not?
2. Why would someone want to join the British navy in the 1700s? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a career in the navy during this time?
3. What are three ways that racism and colonialism impacted what happened with the Wager’s crew and how they perceived their experiences? How did colonialism and racism impact events surrounding the Wager and the accounts emerging from them?
4. What was the most memorable part of this book for you? Why did it make an impression?
5. Read your favorite passage from the book out loud and explain why you liked it or what it made you think about.
6. Was this non-fiction book fun to read, or was it a little dry? Did the author need to "spice it up" or "tone it down"? How could they have managed that?
7. What made this book different than other books on this subject? Do you think it is better or worse than other books on this subject matter?