Magazines, Homework Help, Databases at West Nyack: History & Genealogy
History & Genealogy
- Ancestry.com New York RecordsSeveral New York repositories have formed a partnership with Ancestry.com to digitize family history records and make them available on line for free. Descriptions of the records as well as the holding organizations are provided through the links and logos on the Ancestry.com New York web page.
Access courtesy of the New York State Archives
- Ancestry Library Edition - West NyackAncestry is the most comprehensive online source of information for conducting genealogical and local history research available.
Funded by the West Nyack Free Library.
- Black Freedom Struggle in the United StatesThis curated selection of primary sources is designed for teaching and learning about the struggles and triumphs of Black Americans. Developed with input from Black history scholars and advisors, its easily discoverable materials are ideal for assignments and special projects focused on U.S. Black history.
- Digital Public Library of AmericaDPLA connects people to the riches held within America’s libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural heritage institutions. All of the materials found through DPLA—photographs, books, maps, news footage, oral histories, personal letters, museum objects, artwork, government documents, and so much more—are free and immediately available in digital format.
- FamilySearchOur records span billions of names across hundreds of collections—including birth, marriage, death, probate, land, military, IGI extracted, and more.
- New York HeritageNew York Heritage is a research portal for students, educators, historians, genealogists, and anyone else who is interested in learning more about the people, places and institutions of New York State. The collections in New York Heritage represent a broad range of historical, scholarly, and cultural materials held in libraries, museums, and archives throughout the state. Collection items include photographs, letters, diaries, directories, maps, books, and more.
New York Heritage is a collaborative project of eight Empire State Library Network members: Capital District Library Council, Central New York Library Resources Council, Long Island Library Resources Council, Northern New York Library Network, Rochester Regional Library Council, Southeastern New York Library Resources Council, South Central Regional Library Council, and Western New York Library Resources Council.
Key to the Icons Used in this Guide
Open Access -- Access to the site is free to anyone, wherever they are. No library card needed.
In-Library Access only -- can only be accessed on computers on the library building's network. No library card needed.
Access requires you to enter your library card number (which must be issued by the library offering the resource)
Access to library cardholders is free, but registration is required (often used by instructional sites that track your learning progress)
Access to library cardholders is free, but registration is required to take advantage of some optional features
- Chronicling AmericaSearch America's historic newspapers pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present.
- Fultonhistory.com: Historical Newspapers This link opens in a new windowSearch over 35,875,000 Historical Newspaper Pages from the USA & Canada. Full text search can be retrieved using the Advanced Search option.
- HRVH Historical NewspapersHRVH Historical Newspapers provides access to digitized copies of historical newspapers from the Hudson River Valley region of New York State. Includes several Rockland and Orange County newspapers.
Funded by federal funds, New York State funding for library systems, special grants and annual membership dues.
- New York Times Web Edition - New City and West NyackNew City and West Nyack cardholders can now enjoy 72 hours of free access to the New York Times website. Registration required. To download mobile app: http://www.nytimes.com/marketing/tools-and-services/