RCLS Delivery Service: Access Guidlines
Design for Access
RCLS recommends these guidelines for building design features that will facilitate easy, problem-free delivery access:
- Ideally, delivery vehicles should be able to park in a protected area: i.e. interior loading dock, or under an overhang or canopy.
- The parking area for the delivery vehicle should be a reserved parking area, even if only for a 2-3 hour period each day. The parking area needs to accommodate both the delivery van and room for drivers to load and unload from the rear and side of the vehicle.
- The delivery entrance should be in close proximity to the circulation office
- The delivery access should be isolated from public foot-traffic paths.
- The delivery access should not traverse stairs; ramps are acceptable.
- The delivery access should not include any sharp 90 degree turns.
- Delivery access should not go through dooways less than 36'' wide; doors should have easy-set stops.
- The staging area within the library for deliveries should have enough room for both incoming and outgoing boxes.