Health Disparities Initiative -Funded by Orange County Dept. Of Health: Home
Material and Programs sponsored by Orange County Dept of Health HDI Grant
Gale Ebooks-Access with your Newburgh Library Card
- Chronic Mental Illness and the Changing Scope of Intervention Strategies, Diagnosis, and TreatmentISBN: 9781522505204Publication Date: 2017Examines emergent research on the identification and epidemiology of various mental illnesses. Features information on the prevalence of the disease, psychopharmacological advancements, and strategies for the management of chronic mental illnesses.
- Critical Perspectives on Health Care byISBN: 9781978503878Publication Date: 2019-07-15In the United States, the healthcare debate has swirled for decades as politicians, pundits, and citizens try to find a solution to the ongoing question of how best to meet the public's need for quality medical care at affordable prices. The introduction of new programs over the course of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries set a precedent for minimum levels of care. Despite these programs, millions remain uninsured across the country. This collection of essays will interrogate the debate on healthcare, providing students with a wide-ranging look at the competing ideas, policies, and viewpoints that intersect on this important issue.
- Deconstructing Stigma in Mental Health byISBN: 9781522538097Publication Date: 2018-05-11This book is a valuable resource for mental health administrators and clinicians, researchers, educators, policy makers, and psychology professionals seeking information on current mental health stigma trends.
- Developmental Challenges and Societal Issues for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities byISBN: 9781799812241Publication Date: 2019-08-30Featuring a range of topics such as comorbidities, epidemiology, and stigma, this book is ideal for psychologists, psychiatrists, pediatricians, psychiatric nurses, clinicians, special ed teachers, social workers, hospital administrators, mental health specialists, managers, academicians, rehabilitation centers, researchers, and students.
- Disability Discrimination byISBN: 9781682823828Publication Date: 2018-08-01Disability discrimination occurs when people with physical or mental disabilities are given fewer opportunities or unfairly treated because of their disabilities. Examples can be found in schools that don't make accommodations for disabled students, buildings that are hard to maneuver in, and workplaces that keep people with disabilities from advancing. Disability Discrimination examines what this discrimination entails, how it is manifested, how widespread it is, how it affects real people, and efforts to address this discrimination.
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Health byISBN: 9781410388223Publication Date: 2018-11-01"Presents authoritative, comprehensive information on more than 200 mental disorders as well as drugs, treatments and therapies, alternative treatments, diagnostic and evaluation procedures, and related biological concepts totaling 530 articles"--Provided by publisher.
- Health Care byISBN: 9781502643278Publication Date: 2018-12-15In 2010, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act instituted one of the most comprehensive overhauls of the United States health care system in history, with the goal of insuring almost every American. Factions opposed to the law argue that the government should not have a role in providing health care coverage, and that lower-quality care and high costs are the inevitable result. Supporters of universal health care argue that every person has the right to health, and that government has a role to play in protecting this right. This book presents an in-depth overview of the health care debate from every angle, featuring sidebars and photographs that offer insight into questions of who provides and regulates health care and how questions of health coverage have played out in domestic and international politics.
- Latina/o American Health and Mental Health: Practices and Challenges byISBN: 9781440854903Publication Date: 2018-02-16Essential reading for health and mental health administrators, community agencies, and policy makers as well as students and general interest readers, this book details the state of the physical and mental health of many Latina/o American groups. * Examines the prevalence of psychological disorders and chronic physical diseases among various Latina/o groups in the U.S.
- Managing the Myths of Health Care byISBN: 9781626569065Publication Date: 2017-05-15The overall message of Mintzberg's masterful analysis is that care, cure, control, and community have to work together, within health-care institutions and across them, to deliver quantity, quality, and equality simultaneously.
- Mental Disability and Rehabilitation Sourcebook byISBN: 9780780817715Publication Date: 2019-10-11Provides an overview of the most common types of mental disability, behavioral-health therapies, co-occurring disorders, medications commonly used to treat mental disability, treatment options, culturally competent care, accessibility, rehabilitation, and the ways in which the Affordable Care Act provides parity protections for behavioral-health services, along with tips on finding a therapist, supporting a friend or family member through diagnosis and treatment, and information about the neurodiversity movement, along with information on how to find government and local disability programs and resources.
- Mental Health Intervention and Treatment of First Responders and Emergency Workers byISBN: 9781522598046Publication Date: 2019-08-30Mental Health Intervention and Treatment of First Responders and Emergency Workers is an essential reference source that focuses on the latest research for diagnosing and treating mental health issues experienced by emergency personnel and seeks to generate awareness and inform clinicians about the unique circumstances encountered by these professionals. While highlighting topics including anxiety disorders and stress management, this book is ideally designed for clinicians, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, practitioners, medical professionals, EMTs, law enforcement, fire departments, military, academicians, researchers, policymakers, and students seeking current research on psychological therapy methods regarding first responders.
- Mental Illness in Popular Culture byISBN: 9781440843891Publication Date: 2017-05-24This book explores the many different representations of mental illness that exist--and sometimes persist--in both traditional and new media across eras. Spotlights examples of how popular culture such as comedies mirror changing attitudes toward mental illness and are helping pave the path to greater acceptance
- Mental Illness in Young Adult Literature: Exploring Real Struggles Through Fictional Characters byISBN: 9781440857393Publication Date: 2018-12-07This book explores how mental illness is portrayed in 21st-century young adult fiction and how selected works can help teachers, librarians, and mental health professionals to more effectively address the needs of students combating mental illness. * Offers extensive analysis of contemporary young adult fiction featuring youth with mental illness to help school and youth services librarians make informed collection development and readers' advisory decisions
- Multicultural Counseling Applications for Improved Mental Healthcare Services byISBN: 9781522560746Publication Date: 2018-10-12Multicultural Counseling Applications for Improved Mental Healthcare Services is an essential reference source that discusses techniques in addressing different religions and cultures in counseling and therapy. The research in this publication provides a platform and a voice for Eastern therapists to contribute to the body of knowledge and build a more robust therapeutic framework for practitioners worldwide. Featuring topics such as psychotherapy, refugee counseling, and women empowerment, this book is ideally designed for mental health professionals, counselors, therapists, clinical psychologists, sociologists, social workers, researchers, students, and social science academicians seeking coverage on significant advances in therapy, as well as the skills, challenges, and abilities that practitioners facing diverse populations must manage on a daily basis.
- The Praeger Handbook of Mental Health and the Aging Community byISBN: 9781440853357Publication Date: 2017-11-27A comprehensive book written by experienced practitioners, this single-volume work describes clinical competencies, specific challenges, and applications in providing services to the elderly and their caregivers. * Includes therapeutic interventions and addresses critical elements including diversity, poverty, disability, and the law and ethics of elder care * Features case studies that clearly illustrate expressive arts, animal-assisted therapy, couple's counseling, family therapy, and evidence-based treatments
- Prejudice, Bias & Discrimination byPublication Date: 2017This work is designed to provide a solid foundation for the research of various sociological topics. This volume provides an introduction to the issues surrounding racial and ethnic discrimination.
- Racial Discrimination byISBN: 9781682823866Publication Date: 2018-08-01The term "racial discrimination" refers to people being treated unequally and unfairly solely because of their race. Although it is a considered a problem throughout the United States, not everyone agrees about the seriousness of it. Racial Discrimination examines what this discrimination entails, how it is manifested, how widespread it is, how it affects real people, and efforts to address this discrimination.
- Social Welfare byISBN: 9781410325617Publication Date: 2018-05-11The latest information on the most important social issues in America today is the hallmark of this well-established series for high school students. The Information Plus® Reference Series gives readers a clear and comprehensive summary of the most up-to-date research, legislation, and more on each subject-all of which are vividly illustrated by numerous tables, charts, and graphs. Ideal for class assignments, reports, and research projects, the series has a distinct, easy-to-understand style that students will appreciate. The Information Plus® Reference Series provides: Up-to-date statistical information on the volume's subject that gives students the most current data available-all from one source, Discussions of hundreds of topics and subtopics, providing valuable explanations of statistics, Tables, charts, and graphs, vividly illustrating facts and figures, Resources section and directory of important organizations in each volume-including key e-mail addresses and Web site URLs-that offer the best avenues for continued research Book jacket.
Health Disparities Initiative -Funded by Orange County Dept. Of Health
HDI is a 3 year grant focused on improving the health of City of Newburgh residents. OC DOH contracted with Community Voices Heard and Catholic Charities to host a series of community listening sessions. The three areas of most concern to residents centered around housing, transportation and mental health. The library received generous funding for the these materials that are available for checkout with your library card.
Mindfulness for Teens - sponsored by HDI
- Aging Sourcebook byISBN: 9780780815834Publication Date: 2017-10-13"Provides consumer health information about aging and associated diseases and medical conditions. Includes index, glossary of related terms, and other resources"--
- Anxiety Disorders Sourcebook byISBN: 9780780818187Publication Date: 2020-09-18"Provides consumer health information about the ways people encounter anxiety and its various types, including general anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and panic disorder. Includes glossary, index, and other resources"--
- Depression Sourcebook byISBN: 9780780814981Publication Date: 2017-01-01This print and online resource provides consumer health information about risk factors, causes, symptoms, and treatment of various forms of depression. Includes index, glossary of related terms, and other resources.
- Environment Health Sourcebook, 5th Ed byISBN: 9780780816282Publication Date: 2018-06-01Consumer health information about the health effects of environmental hazards and diseases linked to environmental causes, with facts about the impact on specific populations. Includes index, glossary of related terms, and other resources.
- Ethnicity, Race, and Disease Sourcebook byISBN: 9780780817807Publication Date: 2020-02-28"Offers basic consumer health information about ethnicity and race, along with social determinants of health across life stages, behavioral health equity, genetic conditions, physical activity, healthcare fraud, insurance and mental-health services. A directory of organizations that provide information about ethnic groups and diseases."--
- Immune System Disorders Sourcebook byISBN: 9780780817272Publication Date: 2019-10-18Provides basic consumer health information about immune system function, diseases, treatments and management of related disorders. Includes index, glossary of related terms, and other resources.
Mental Health Resources
Urban Development Books
- The Heart of the City byISBN: 9781610919494Publication Date: 2019-05-07Downtowns are more than economic engines: they are repositories of knowledge and culture and generators of new ideas, technology, and ventures. They are the heart of the city that drives its future. If we are to have healthy downtowns, we need to understand what downtown is all about; how and why some American downtowns never stopped thriving (such as San Jose and Houston), some have been in decline for half a century (including Detroit and St. Louis), and still others are resurging after temporary decline (many, including Lower Manhattan and Los Angeles). The downtowns that are prospering are those that more easily adapt to changing needs and lifestyles. In The Heart of the City, distinguished urban planner Alexander Garvin shares lessons on how to plan for a mix of housing, businesses, and attractions; enhance the public realm; improve mobility; and successfully manage downtown services.This book will help public officials, civic organizations, downtown business property owners, and people who care about cities learn from successful recent actions in downtowns across the country, and expand opportunities facing their downtown. Garvin provides recommendations for continuing actions to help any downtown thrive, ensuring a prosperous and thrilling future for the 21st-century American city.
- Strategic Green Infrastructure Planning byISBN: 9781610916929Publication Date: 2015-09-30From New York City's urban forest and farmland in Virginia to the vast Sonoran Desert of Arizona and riverside parks in Vancouver, Washington, green infrastructure is becoming a priority for cities, counties, and states across America. Recognition of the need to manage our natural assets--trees, soils, water, and habitats--as part of our green infrastructure is vital to creating livable places and healthful landscapes. But the land management decisions about how to create plans, where to invest money, and how to get the most from these investments are complex, influenced by differing landscapes, goals, and stakeholders. Strategic Green Infrastructure Planning addresses the nuts and bolts of planning and preserving natural assets at a variety of scales--from dense urban environments to scenic rural landscapes. A practical guide to creating effective and well-crafted plans and then implementing them, the book presents a six-step process developed and field-tested by the Green Infrastructure Center in Charlottesville, Virginia. Well-organized chapters explain how each step, from setting goals to implementing opportunities, can be applied to a variety of scenarios, customizable to the reader's target geographical location. Chapters draw on a diverse group of case studies, from the arid open spaces of the Sonoran Desert to the streets of Jersey City. Abundant full color maps, photographs, and illustrations complement the text. For planners, elected officials, developers, conservationists, and others interested in the creation and maintenance of open space lands and urban green infrastructure projects or promoting a healthy economy, this book offers a comprehensive yet flexible approach to conceiving, refining, and implementing successful projects.
Graphic Novels As Medicine
- Graphic Novels as MedicineUsing graphic novels in medical education. Click on links to get to the catalog.