The first step to understanding this guide is recognizing the difference between eating vegan and plant-based diets.
What does "plant-based" actually mean?
It means following a diet that focuses on eating whole plant foods (fruits, veggies, legumes, grains, nuts, and seeds). This also includes the elimination of ALL animal products including meat, fish, eggs, dairy, and gelatin.
What does being "vegan" mean?
Vegans follow a general philosophy devoted to animal rights. This involves not only changing the way that you eat, but your political, social, and ethical views, as well.Most vegans eliminate animal products from their life in every aspect. This could include clothing (furs, silk, wool, and leather), avoiding items that are tested on animals, products derived from insects, and any animal by-product such as honey or beeswax.
There are some foods that are technically vegan but NOT plant-based. For example, Oreos are vegan. They contain no meat or dairy ingredients but are not derived from an original plant-based form. It's important to realize that many people who follow a plant-based diet may say they are vegan, purely in a dietary fashion. This can be confusing but is very common.
Vegan Cookbooks & Recipe Guides
This section will include books that are available at the HKDPL for your use, as well as e-books found on Hoopla and OverDrive. You can access both of these from your tablet, e-reader, or even your computer. All you need is your library card! Further information can be found HERE on the library website.
Check These Out At The HKDPL Today!
- Naked Kitchen (2014) by Sarah Davies
- Rawsome Vegan Baking (2014) by Megan May
- Sheet Pan Suppers Meatless (2017) by Raquel Pelzel
- Superfun Vegan Holiday Cookbook (2016) by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
- The Complete Guide to Even More Vegan Food Substitutions (2015) by Joni-Marie Newman
- Vegan with a Vengeance (2015) by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
- Whole World Vegetarian (2016) by Marie Simmons
NOTE: Some of these books are VEGETARIAN but offer a lot of great options for substitution!
Borrow These Titles From the Hoopla App!
- 100 Best Vegan Recipes (2016) by Robin Robertson
- But I Could Never Go Vegan! (2014) by Kristy Turner
- But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan! (2016) by Kristy Turner
- Caribbean Vegan (2016) by Taymer Mason
- Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats (2012) by Allyson Kramer
- NYC Vegan (2017) by Michael Suchman, Ethan Cimene
- Party Vegan (2013) by Robin Robertson
- Pure Vegan (2012) by Joseph Schuldiner
- Quick & Easy Vegan Celebrations (2010) by Alicia C. Simpson
- The 40-Year-Old Vegan (2017) by Sandra Sellani, Susan Sellani
- The Great Vegan Bean Book (2013) by Kathy Hester
- The Great Vegan Grains Book (2015) by Celine Steen, Tamasin Noyes
- The Little Vegan Cookbook (2016) by Various Authors
- The Vegan Kitchen (2016) by Various Authors
- Vegan Delights (2015) by Toni Rodriguez
- Vegan Mexico (2016) by Jason Wyrick
- Vegan On The Cheap (2013) by Robin Robertson
- Vegan Up! (2015) by Thierry Pascal, Tina Botel, Norene Gilletz
Use the OverDrive App For These Tasty Treats!
- Forks Over Knives: The Cookbook (2012) by Del Sroufe
- Gluten-Free and Vegan for the Whole Family (2015) by Jennifer Katzinger
- Gluten-Free and Holiday Friendly (2011) by Jennifer Katzinger
- Mayim's Vegan Table (2014) by Mayim Bialik, Jay Gordon
- Vegan for Everybody (2017) by America's Test Kitchen
- Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen (2015) by Richa Hingle
- Vegan Soups and Heart Stews for All Seasons (2009) by Nava Atlas
Plant-Based Cookbooks & Recipe Guides
Just like the vegan section, here you will find books that are available at the HKDPL for your use, as well as e-books found on Hoopla and OverDrive. You can access both of these from your tablet, e-reader, or even your computer. All you need is your library card! Further information can be found HERE on the library website.
Check These Out At The HKDPL Today!
- Raw Organic Goodness (2015) by Megan May
- The Naked Kitchen Veggie Burger Book (2014) by Sarah Davies
Plant-Based Recipes on Hoopla!
- 26 Days (2016) by Claudia Nicole
- Baconish (2016) by Leinana Two Moons
- Stella’s Whole-Food Plant-Based Family Cookbook (2016) by Ursula Heinz
- Plant-Powered Cooking (2017) by Alice Mary Alvrez
- Plant-Powered Families (2015) by Dreena Burton
- The Art of Plant-Based Cheesemaking (2017) by Karen McAthy
- The China Study Family Cookbook (2017) by Del Sroufe
- The Colorful Kitchen (2017) by Ilene Godofsky Moreno
- The Plantpure Kitchen (2017) by Kim Campbell
- YumUniverse (2014) by Heather Crosby
Here is a collection of books that focus on vegan and plant-based lifestyle changes. This includes relationships, beauty, and health tips, as well as personal testimonies from individuals who have immersed themselves in a new way of life.
Vegan Lifestyle Guides on Hoopla
- Breaking Vegan (2015) by Jordan Younger – One Woman’s Journey from Veganism, Extreme Dieting, and Orthorexia to a More Balanced Life
- How To Be Vegan (2014) by Elizabeth Castoria – Tips, Tricks, and Strategies for Cruelty-Free Eating, Living, Dating, Travel, Decorating and More
- Power Vegan (2013) by Rea Frey – Plant-Fueled Nutrition For Maximum Health & Fitness
- The Lusty Vegan (2014) by Ayinde Howell, Zoe Eisenberg – A Cookbook and Relationship Manifesto for Vegans and Those Who Love Them
- The Mindful Vegan (2017) by Lani Muelrath – A 30-Day Plan for Finding Health, Balance, Peace, and Happiness
- The Skeptical Vegan (2017) by Eric Lindstrom, Victoria Moran – My Journey from Notorious Meat Eater to Tofu-Munching Vegan (A Survival Guide)
- The Vegan Revolution (2017) by Joseph De La Paz – Why and How We Are Heading Towards a New Phase in History
- Vegan Love (2017) by Maya Gottfried – Dating and Partnering for the Cruelty-Free Gal, with Fashion, Makeup, and Wedding Tips
Plant-Based Living on the Hoopla App
- A Plant-Based Life (2016) by Micaela Cook Karlsen – Your Complete Guide to Great Food, Radiant Health, Boundless Energy, and a Better Body
- Got Veg? (2015) by Esosa Edosomwan - How to Thrive On a Plant-Based Diet
- Powerful Plant-Based Superfoods (2013) by Lauri Boone – The Best Way to Eat for Maximum Health, Energy, and Weight Loss
- The Happy Herbivore: Guide To Plant-Based Living (2014) by Lindsay S. Nixon – Author of Popular Happy Herbivore Blog and Cookbook Series Is Sent Dozens of Questions About Living a Plant-Based Life
- The Plant-Based Journey (2015) by Lani Muelrath – A Step-by-Step Guide for Transitioning to a Healthy Lifestyle and Achieving Your Ideal Weight
- The Plant-Based Solution (2018) by Joel Kahn, John P. Mackey – A Vegan Cardiologist’s Plan to Save Your Life and the Plane
BONUS: Audio Books & Movies Available on Hoopla!
There are so many of us that have trouble finding the time to read, let alone make an entire dietary and lifestyle change. The great thing about audio books is that they're easy to take on the go, listen to in the car or while you're working out, and make revitalizing your life that much easier.
- Always Too Much And Never Enough (2016) by Jasmin Singer
- Bake Sales Are My B*tch (2017) by April Peveteaux – Win the Food Allergy Wars with 60+ Recipes to Keep Kids Safe and Parents Sane
- Eating On The Wild Side (2013) by Jo Robinson
- The China Study (2017) by T. Colin Campbell, PhD, Thomas M. Campbell, MD – The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted
- The Reducetarian Solution (2017) by Brian Kateman – How the Surprisingly Simple Act of Reducing the Amount of Meat in Your Diet Can Transform Your Health
- Veganist (2011) by Kathy Freston – Lose Weight, Get Healthy, Change the World
- Whole (2013) by T. Colin Campbell, PhD – Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
- Food, Inc. (2009)
- Live And Let Live (2015)