Nyack Middle School Summer Reading Suggestions: 7th Grade Book Recommendations
- Airman byISBN: 9781423107507Conor Broekhart was born to fly. In fact, legend has it that he was born flying in a hot air balloon at the world's fair. Conor and his family live on the sovereign Saltee Islands, off the Irish coast. Conor spends his days studying the science of flight with his tutor and exploring the castle with the king's daughter, Princess Isabella.
But his life changes forever the day he discovers a conspiracy to overthrow the king. What would happen to him now?
- Boy2Girl byISBN: 0374309264Is he a girl? Is she a boy? Matthew's American cousin, Sam, has come to London to live with the family. Sam is a charismatic, funny kid, but can he be trusted to be a reliable friend?
- The Breadwinner byISBN: 9780888994165Eleven-year-old Parvana lives with her family in one room of a bombed-out apartment building in Kabul, Afghanistan's capital city. One day, her father is arrested for the crime of having a foreign education, and the family is left wihtout someone who can earn money or even shop for food. Forbidden to earn money as a girl, Parvana must transform herself into a boy, and become the breadwinner.
- Chains byISBN: 9781416905851If an entire nation could seek its freedom, why not a girl? As the Revolutionary War begins, thirteen-year-old Isabel wages her own fight...for freedom.
- Dusssie byISBN: 9780802796493Dusie always knew puberty was going to be confusing, but she never realized it was going to be catastrophic--until she wakes up one morning to find that her hair has turned into a writhing mass of slithering snakes.
- H. I. V. E. byISBN: 9781416935711Otto Malpense may only be thirteen years old, but so far he has managed to run the orphanage where he lives, and he has come up with a plan clever enough to trick the most powerful man in the country. He is the perfect candidate to become the world's next super villain.
- Montmorency byISBN: 0439580366A gripping tale of adventure set in Victorian London. Montmorency is a thief leading a double life.
He takes on the roles of a respectable, wealthy gentleman named Montmorency and his corrupt servant, Scarper.
- Nick of Time byISBN: 9780312380687Twelve year old Nick tries to help his father and sister send vital information to England about an imminent Nazi invasion, until he finds himself transported through time to help his ancestor stop a mutinous captain who is aiding the French fleet and endangering British soldiers.
- The Ruins of Gorlan byISBN: 9780142406632They have always scared him in the past-the Rangers, with their dark cloaksand shadowy ways. The villagers believe the Rangers practice magic that makes them invisible to ordinary people. And now 15-year-old Will, always small for his age, has been chosen as a Ranger's apprentice.
- Walk Two Moons byISBN: 0060233346Thirteen year old Native American Salmanca Tree Hiddle travels from Ohio to Idaho to visit her mother who left a year before.
- Wildwood byISBN: 9780062024688Prue McKeel's life is ordinary. At least until her baby brother is abducted by a murder of crows. And then things get reallyweird.She embarks into the Impassable Wilderness, a dense forest in the center of Portland with her friend Curtis. The pair will encounter warring creatures, peaceful mystics, and more.
- The Alchemyst byISBN: 9780385733571Nicholas Flamel holds the secret that can end the world. The secret of eternal life is hidden within the book he protects-the Book of Abraham the Mage. It's the most powerful book that has ever exited. In the wrong hands it will destroy the world.
- City of Masks byISBN: 1582347913During the day, Lucien battles cancer in his modern, normal life. But at night, he becomes a Stravagante, a time-traveler of sorts who finds himself in Belleza, a city parallel to old Venice.
- Coraline byISBN: 9780060825430When Coraline steps through a door in her family's new house, she finds another house, strangely similar to her own (only better). At first, things seem marvelous. But there's another mother there and another father, and they want her to stay and be their little girl. They want to change her and never let her go. Coraline will have to fight with all her wit and all the tools she can find if she is to save herself and return to her ordinary life.
- The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks byISBN: 9780786838189Frankie Landau-Banks.
No longer the kind of girl to take "no" for an answer.
Especially when "no" means she's excluded from her boyfriend's all-male secret society.
Not when she knows she's smarter than any of them.
When she knows Matthew's lying to her.
And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.
- Hero byISBN: 9780399252839Fourteen-year-old Billy Harriman can feel the changes. The sharpening of his senses. The incredible strength. The speed, as though he can textmessage himself across miles. What Billy never knew was that his father was no ordinary man-he was a superhero, battling the world's evil. This is a battle that has been waged for generations and that knows no boundaries. And now it's Billy's turn to take on the fight. It's Billy's turn to become a hero.
- The House of the Scorpion byISBN: 0689852231Matteo Alacran was not born; he was harvested with the DNA from El Patron, lord of a country called Opium. Can a boy who was bred to guarantee another's survival find his own purpose in life? And can he ever be free?
- Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy byISBN: 0618439293It only takes a few hours for Turner Buckminster to start hating Phippsburg, Maine. No one in town will let him forget that he's a minister's son, even if he doesn't act like one. But then he meets Lizzie Bright Griffin, a smart and sassy girl from a poor nearby island community founded by former slaves. Despite his father's-and the town's-disapproval of their friendship, Turner spends time with Lizzie, and it opens up a whole new world to him.
- Moon over Manifest byISBN: 9780385738835Abilene Tucker feels abandoned. Her father has put her on a train, sending her off to live with an old friend for the summer while he works a railroad job. Armed only with a few possessions and her list of universals, Abilene jumps off the train in Manifest, Kansas, aiming to learn about the boy her father once was.
- Bad Boy byISBN: 0060295236Into a memoir that is gripping, funny, heartbreaking, and unforgettable, Walter Dean Myers richly weaves the details of his Harlem childhood in the 1940s and 1950s: a loving home life with his adopted parents, Bible school, street games, and the vitality of his neighborhood. Although Walter spent much of his time either getting into trouble or on the basketball court, secretly he was a voracious reader and an aspiring writer. But as his prospects for a successful future diminished, the values he had been taught at home, in school, and in his community seemed worthless, and he turned to the streets and his books for comfort.
- The Best Little Girl in the World byISBN: 0446358657Francessa's desire to be perfect leads her into the world of an anorexic.
- The Great Fire byISBN: 0590472674By weaving personal accounts of actual survivors together with the carefully researched history of Chicago and the disaster, the author constructs a narrative of the Great Fire of Chicago. He goes on to show how, even in a time of deepest despair, the human spirit triumphed, as the people of Chicago found the courage and strength to build their city once again.
- Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World byISBN: 0517800136Shipwreck at the Bottom of the Worldvividly recreates one of the most extraordinary adventure stories in history. In August 1914, Ernest Shackleton and 27 men sailed from England in an attempt to become the first team of explorers to cross the Antarctic continent from one side to the other. Five months later and still 100 miles from land, their ship,Endurance, became trapped. This is their story.
- Surviving Natural Disasters byISBN: 9781848376939Ancient legends are full of heroes. But heroes also exist in real life. They may not fight dragons, but their challenges can be just as awesome. In Real Life Heroes, we look at true stories of courage and heroism in the face of persecution, disaster, addiction, and disease.
- The Wizard of Sound byISBN: 0876144458Carolrhoda's best-selling Creative Minds Biographies series appeals to a wide range of readers. Written in story format, these biographies also include inviting black-and-white illustrations.