The Artist's Way Monthly Meetup Guide: Workshop - Week 2
Weeks 3 & 4 of The Artist's Way
Week 3: Recovering a Sense of Power
This week may find you dealing with unaccustomed bursts of energy and sharp peaks of anger, joy, and grief. You are coming into your power as the illusory hold of your previously accepted limits is shaken. You will be asked to consciously experiment with spiritual open-mindedness.
Page 61. Cameron, Julia (1992). The Artist's Way Workbook. New York: Penguin.
Week 4: Recovering a Sense of Integrity
This week may find you grappling with changing self-definition. The essays, tasks, and exercises are designed to catapult you into productive introspection and integration of new self-awareness. This may be both very difficult and extremely exciting for you. Warning: Do not skip the tool of reading deprivation!
Page 79. Cameron, Julia (1992). The Artist's Way Workbook. New York: Penguin.
- How many days this week did you do your morning pages? How was the experience?
- Did you do your artist's date this week? What did you do? How did it feel?
- Were there any issues or accomplishments this week that were significant for you?
In Week 3, Cameron begins by suggesting that anger, an emotion often interpreted as something negative, that we should try to ignore or bury, is actually something that should be acknowledged, interpreted, and then acted on. In terms of creative endeavors, she talks about using anger as a map. For example:
“I can’t believe it! I had this idea for a play three years ago and she’s gone and written it.” (This anger says: stop procrastinating. Ideas don’t get opening nights. Finished plays do. Start writing). – page 62
"I have learned, as a rule of thumb, never to ask whether you can do something. Say, instead, that you are doing it. Then fasten your seatbelt. The most remarkable things follow". - page 65
Shame and Vulnerability
Tasks for Next Meeting
- Three pages of longhand writing, strictly stream-of-consciousness, every day.
- One block of time, especially set aside to nurture your creative consciousness.
- One week of no reading. Replace reading with any other activity, including listening to music, gardening, cooking, exercising, etc. * This does not include reading Weeks 3 & 4 as a review of our last session, and Weeks 5 & 6 of The Artist's Way in preparation for our next meeting.