Warwick Valley Heritage: Home
- Warwick Heritage Digital Collection
- Growing weekly! Check back often
- Note: first page of site may take up to 1 min. to load
- Quick Start Searching-- "how to" videos
- Audio Files/Podcasts
- Other repositories:
DIGITAL COLLECTION EXHIBITS FEATURED THIS MONTH
- The Great Chain Across the Hudson -240th Anniversary
- The Music and Times of John Bradner, Bill Raynor, and the Bradner and Hull Family (including vintage family movies)
- Women's Suffrage: Lydia Sayer Hasbrouck
The following is a partial list of books about Warwick and Orange County history that are full text and in a PDF format you can download to your computer or device; you can find links to more ebooks and e-documents in the Warwick Heritage Database.
Basics: Short Histories of the Warwick Valley:
- Short History by S. Gardner (2009)
- Warwick Chapter from Ruttenber and Clark's History of Orange County:(1881)
General Orange County History:
- An Eighteenth Century Journey Through Orange County by Hector St. John de Crevecoeur (1781, translation ci1937)
- History of Orange County by Ruttenber & Clark (1881; entire book)
Warwick & Sugar Loaf Specific Works:
- Bellvale Rising Star by Thomas Burt (newspaper published 1 year about Bellvale, 1889)
- Black Jacob by A. D. Eddy. The inspiring life story of Jacob Hodges of Sugar Loaf, who was coerced into the murder of Richard Jennings, then reformed.
- History of Orange County by Ruttenber & Clark (1881; Warwick chapter only)
- Memoirs of Hon. Nathaniel Jones U.S. House of Representatives 1837-1841, lived in Warwick, many local anecdotes.
- Report of the Trial of The Murderers of Richard Jennings; pamphlet from the collection of the archive of the Warwick Historical Society (1819; murder occurred in Sugar Loaf)
- Under Old Rooftrees by Eliza Benedict Hornby (1908). Collection of facts and stories about Warwick Valley life in the 18th and 19th centuries. Lifestyles, weather, weddings, slaves, folkways, etc.
- Warwick Woodlands by Frank Forester (Henry William Herbert). Classic field sports/hunting narrative, 1840s.