THE HISTORY OF THE JOHN HATHORN HOUSE: Cemetery
Although John and Elizabeth Hathorn and remains from visible graves were re-interred at Warwick Cemetery by the Sanfords, there are likely a number of graves still existing on the knoll in the field behind the house, where once a large tree stood. As shown on the 1850 map, it appears to be the rear left corner of the property as it is today.
Household slaves and young children were often buried with just a fieldstone as marker or in unmarked graves, so it is likely there are several graves still at the site.
- In addition, a note exists in the collection of the Warwick Historical Society that seems to have been written to Ferdinand Sanford by "A.B. S." (likely family member): "Col. Hathorn had a son Andrew educated as a lawyer, died unmarried and was buried in the ground on the farm. The grave is unmarked...."
- John and Elizabeth's graves were moved to the Warwick Cemetery from their land in October of 1893 (Warwick Cemetery record book), as were the graves of Belden and Sarah Burt (their son in law and daughter). According to W. B. Sayer: in 1898"...his wife with several of their children were buried in an open lot on the farm that he formerly owned, with headstones showing whose bodies lie buried there. Those old graves were opened a few years ago by Mr. John M. Burt and the remains gathered and placed in the Belden Burt lot in Warwick Cemetery.
- In "The Wellings of Warwick" b Rev. A. A. Haines (1899), he states that at that date the interments of John and Elizabeth are still "in the field in the rear of their former home, with several of their children whose graves are without inscriptions". Perhaps he did not know about the re-interments, or data from the paper he published had been gathered before 1893.
The cemetery location as shown on the 1850 map: