eReaders and eBooks @HKDPL: Nook
Install OverDrive Media Console.
Search the OverDrive website for audiobooks in the MP3 format for your Android device.
- Go to www.hkdpl.org and click on “Digital Dowloads.”
- Sign in by selecting the Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library Public Library.
- Enter your library card number and PIN (the last four digits of your phone number).
- Search for MP3 Audiobooks.
- You can search for a specific title or author by simply typing the names in the search box and then choosing the MP3 format.
- Click on “Add to eBookBag.”
- If the title is not available, you may choose to place a hold on the title by clicking “Place a Hold.” You will be notified by email when the title is available.
- When you have added titles to your eBookBag, select “Proceed to Checkout.”
- Click “Download” .
- Overdrive Media Console will launch and you will see the title displayed in your list.
- To open the books on your Device, tap “Library,” “My Stuff,” “My Files,” and select “Music.”
- You can now tap on the book of your choice to begin listening.
Suggested audio books for Nooks
Downloading eBooks - Nook
For Nooks with wireless access:
Install the OverDrive Media Console at the Barnes and Noble store and simplify and streamline your library ebook borrowing.
Searching for and Downloading eBooks
To search, checkout, and download books:
- Tap your browser and type in our library website address: http://www.hkdpl.org/
- Click the OverDrive e-book checkout link in the center of the page in the blue box.
- The OverDrive App will then open on the screen.
- Click “Search” or “Browse” to begin.
- Type in the title or author you are looking for. If you only want to browse through books that are available, be sure to tap the “Available Now” selection.
- Also limit your format to the Adobe EPUB format.
- Once you select the book you want, tap "Add to eBookBag".
- Tap "Proceed to Checkout".
- Select "Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library".
- Login by entering your library card number and PIN (the last four digits of your phone number).
- Click “Confirm checkout.”
- Click “Download.”
- OverDrive Media Console automatically downloads the book into the app. Tap on the title of the book to open it and begin reading.
For Nooks without the OverDrive Media App or that do not have wireless access:
Required software and authorization
In order to download ebooks onto your Nook, you must first install the OverDrive Media Console app. This app is compatible with the Adobe EPUB ebook format.
Installing OverDrive Media Console
Before you can download library books to your e-book reader, you will need to install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software on your computer.
Go to www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/ and follow the instructions to "Download Now" (in the top-right corner).
- Open ADE. You will be prompted to “Get an Adobe ID.”
- With ADE open, attach the reader to your computer via the USB port.
- You will be prompted to authorize your e-book reader. Click through the path to authorize the device.
- A “Nook” link will show up on the left side of the ADE window.
Searching for and Downloading E-book Titles
- Minimize ADE software and go to Overdrive on the library’s website www.hkdpl.org
- Nooks use Adobe ePubs and PDFs. Search for books in those formats.
- When you have found a book you want, select “Add to cart.”
- If the title is already checked out, you may request it by selecting “Place a Hold.”
- After you have added an available title to your cart, select “Proceed to Checkout.”
- Choose “Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library” from the drop-down menu.
- Login by entering your library card number and PIN (your PIN is the last four digits of your phone number).
- Select “Confirm checkout.”
- You may now download the title using the “Download” button under the item.
- When asked, “Do you want to open or save this file,” select “Open With (Adobe Digital Editions)”. The title will automatically open in ADE.
Transferring an E-book to your E-book Reader
- Click on the Library View (the icon of bookshelves in the upper-left) within Adobe Digital Editions.
- Titles you have downloaded are listed on the right.
- If you have a lot of titles, you can click on “Borrowed Item.”
- Drag and drop the title you would like to transfer onto the e-book reader icon below the bookshelves.
- You will see the file copy to the reader. The title is now transferred to the device.
- Detach the reader from your computer.
- Touch the menu icon at the bottom of your e-book reader for “My Library.”
- The book you transferred will appear under “My Documents.”
- Scroll down to the title, and then touch “View item details and options.”
- Touch “Read” to begin reading your e-books.
- If using a Nook Color, your book will be located under “My Library,” “My Files,” and “Downloads.”
Returning your eBooks early
- You may return your book early within Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
- Click the icon at the top left that looks like three books standing on a shelf. This is the 'Library View' of Adobe Digital Editions.
- Select “Borrowed” under the “Bookshelves” heading.
- Find the eBook you want to return and hover your mouse over it.
- You will see the “Item Options” arrow at the top left corner of the eBook.
- Click the arrow and choose to “Return Borrowed Item.”
- Click “Return” to return the eBook.