eReaders and eBooks @HKDPL: iPad/iPhone
Begin by downloading OverDrive Media Console
Search for the MP3 Audiobook format.
Once an audiobook has been added to your ebookbag, click "Download".
OverDrive Media Console opens.
The title is displayed in the "Library"
The title begins downloading.
To play the book, simply select the title from the "Library" screen within OverDrive Media Console.
Suggested audio books for Android...
Downloading eBooks - iPad/iPhone
In order to checkout OverDrive eBooks on the iPad/iPhone, you must first install either the OverDrive Media Console or Kindle Apps. The OverDrive App is compatible with the Adobe ePUB ebook format, and the Kindle App is compatible with the Kindle Book format.
To install OverDrive Media Console for iPhone/iPad from your computer:
- Go to the App Store.
- Search in the upper right-hand corner for "OverDrive".
- Tap "OverDrive Media Console"
- Tap "Install’ on the first App listed.
- Tap "OverDrive"once again.
- Note: You may be prompted to enter your Apple ID and password at this point.
- You will then be prompted to log into Adobe Digital Editions.
- Log in with your password or create an Adobe Digital Editions account.
- Once your account is registered, login using your email address and password.
- Return to OverDrive and download the OverDrive App.
- The OverDrive App icon will appear on the screen once it is downloaded.
To then search, checkout, and download books:
- Tap the OverDrive App on the screen.
- Go to "Get Books" in the upper right-hand corner.
- Tap "Add a Library" and search for "Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library".
- Login by entering your library card number and PIN (the last four digits of your phone number).
- Search for books in the Adobe EPUB format.
- Once you select the book you want, tap "Add to eBookBag".
- Tap "Proceed to Checkout" and "Confirm Checkout".
- Tap "Download".
- Your iPad or iPhone will open the OverDrive App in order to download the book.
- Then tap the book to open it and begin reading.
Kindle App (iPad only)
You can also check out ebooks through the Kindle App.
- To download the Kindle App, open the App Store and search for ‘Kindle.’ Tap ‘Install’ on the first App listed.
- Search for books either within the OverDrive Media Console app or by using your Internet browser to visit the Digital Media Zone website.
- Select books in the Kindle Book format and check them out. Kindle Books cannot be transferred by USB on the iPad. Select only books that may be transferred wirelessly.
- When you tap "Download", Amazon’s website will automatically open in your browser. (You must have an Amazon account. If you are not logged in already, you will be prompted to do so).
- Click on "Get Library Book".
- Close the browser.
- Open your Kindle App.
- The app will sync with your Amazon account and get the book.
- After sync completes, if you don’t see the book, go to Archived Items. You may also check the Cloud for items that have not yet been downloaded.
- Tap the book cover to download the book and begin reading.
Please note: If you are using an iPhone to download eBooks you should utilize the OverDrive Media Console App. The Kindle App does not currently support library eBooks on Smartphones or other small screen devices.
Suggested ebooks for Android...
Returning your eBooks early
via OverDrive Media Console
- Open the OverDrive app on your device.
- Locate the item on your app “Bookshelf.”
- Tap the “+” sign that appears beside the title that you would like to return and delete.
- Choose the “Return/Delete” button to remove the title from your OverDrive eAccount.
- Don’t choose “Delete without Returning” unless a title has already expired – this will remove a file from your device, but it will still be checked out to you for up to 21 days.
via Kindle App
- Your books must be returned from your Amazon account.
- Sign into your account (using your email address and password)
- Click “Manage Your Kindle.”
- You will then see a listing of all of your Kindle books.
- Books that are checked out through the library will be marked “Digital Library”.
- Find the title you want to return early and click “Actions.”
- Select “Return this Book.” (Avoid selecting “Delete from Library” because this will only delete the book from your Kindle but will not return it.)
- Select “Yes” to return the book.
- To then remove the book from your Kindle Library list, click “Actions” again and select “Delete from Library.”
- To completely delete the item from your device, find it within your Library and toggle down so that it is underlined in the list.
- Press the right arrow.
- Select “Remove from Device.”