eReaders and eBooks @HKDPL: Android
Install OverDrive Media Console.
Search the OverDrive website for audiobooks in the MP3 format for your Android device.
Browse for your desired title and check out the book.
- Select the title’s ‘Download’ button.
- It prompted, choose to open the file.
OverDrive Media Console for Android opens.
- The title is displayed in your devices "Library".
- The title begins downloading.
- To play OverDrive Audiobooks:
- Open OverDrive Media Console for Android.
- From the ‘Library’ screen, select a title.
- The title opens and begins playing.
Suggested audio books for Android...
Downloading eBooks - Android
In order to download ebooks onto your phone, you must first install the OverDrive Media Console app. This app is compatible with the Adobe EPUB ebook format.
Installing OverDrive Media Console
- To download OverDrive Media Console for Android go to: http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/AndroidEULA.aspx. If you're using a computer, be sure to transfer the installation file that you're about to download to your Android device after you have downloaded it. The license agreement is displayed. OverDrive Media Console for Android is also available for download on Google Play. Note that some apps cannot be downloaded to some phones from Google Play.
- To continue, select ' I Agree'. The installation file is downloaded and displayed in the 'Download history'.
- Click the file. You may receive a message that says 'For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced on Google Play.' If you receive this message, adjust your Settings as follows:
- Click 'Settings'. The 'Application settings' dialog box opens.
- Check the box next to 'Unknown sources'. A warning message is displayed.
- Click 'OK'. A green check mark is displayed.
- Click 'back' to return to the 'Download history' page.
- Click the file to begin the installation.
4. A dialog box opens and prompts you to confirm you want to install OverDrive Media Console for Android.
- From the Android 'Home' screen, click Menu > Settings. The 'Settings' dialog box opens.
- Click 'Applications'. The 'Application Settings' dialog box opens.
- Click the green check mark next to 'Unknown Sources'. The check mark turns gray and the installation of applications not sourced on Google Play is disabled.
Searching for and Downloading eBooks
To search, checkout, and download books:
- Tap your browser and type in our library website address: http://www.hkdpl.org/
- Click the OverDrive e-book checkout link in the center of the page in the blue box.
- The OverDrive App will then open on the screen.
- Click “Search” or “Browse” to begin.
- Type in the title or author you are looking for. If you only want to browse through books that are available, be sure to tap the “Available Now” selection.
- Also limit your format to the Adobe EPUB format.
- Once you select the book you want, tap "Add to eBookBag".
- Tap "Proceed to Checkout".
- Select Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library".
- Login by entering your library card number and PIN (the last four digits of your phone number).
- Click “Confirm checkout.”
- Click “Download.”
- OverDrive Media Console automatically downloads the book into the app. Tap on the title of the book to open it and begin reading.
Authorizing OverDrive Media Console with your Adobe ID
The first time you download books through the OverDrive App on a new device you will prompted to "Authorize" using your Adobe ID and password.
- A prompt will display the first time you download an eBook to OverDrive Media Console for Android.
- Select 'Settings' and enter your Adobe ID and password. If you do not have an Adobe ID:
- Select "Register at Adobe.com".
- Follow the instructions to sign up for an Adobe ID.
- In OverDrive Media Console for Android, go to App Settings > eBook Options.
- Enter the email address and password for your new Adobe account.
Important: If you would like to download an eBook to another computer or device, be sure to authorize using the same Adobe ID.
Returning your eBooks early
via OverDrive Media Console
- Open the OverDrive app on your device.
- Locate the item on your app “Bookshelf.”
- Tap the “plus” sign that appears beside the title that you would like to return and delete.
- Choose the “Return/Delete” button to remove the title from your OverDrive eAccount.
- Don’t choose “Delete without Returning” unless a title has already expired – this will remove a file from your device, but it will still be checked out to you for up to 21 days.