Microsoft Office 2010: Working With Documents
Introduction to the Microsoft Office 2010 Interface
The menus and toolbars familiar in previous versions of Word prior to 2007 have been replaced with the Ribbon. The Ribbon contains commands grouped into tabs. Each tab relates to a type of activity, such as writing or laying out a page.
Minimize the Ribbon
1. There is no way to delete or replace the Ribbon with the toolbars and menus from the earlier versions of Microsoft Word. You can minimize the Ribbon to make more space available on your screen.
2. To minimize or restore the Ribbon, use the keyboard shortcut: CTRL + F1
Save a Document for the First Time
1. Navigate to the File tab.
2. From the menu of options in the File tab, navigate to Save As and another side menu will expand to the right of Save As with a list of options to include: Save a copy of this document as: Word document (2007+); Word 97-2003 document.
a. What do these file format options mean?
3. Word document: the default file format, an XML-based format (called OpenOffice XML or OOXML) that is designed to be compatible with future versions of Microsoft Office releases.
4. Word 97-2003 document: Saving in this format will allow Word 2010 files to open in earlier versions of the Word software program.
5. A Save As dialog box will pop-open and you will be given the option to name the document with a new name (the default name will be equivalent to the first several characters contained within the document’s workspace).
Setting Up Your Document
Show all formatting and hidden text
1. On the Ribbon, click the Review tab
2. Within the Review tab, navigate to Show Markup in the Tracking grouping
3. Left-click on the Show Markup option to expand its options
4. Left-click on Formatting and ensure a yellow box and checkmark to the left of the word
View thumbnails of a document
1. Click on the View tab and navigate to the Show/Hide grouping
2. You will see an option to place a check mark to the left of the word
Change the zoom (magnification) level
1. In the View tab as shown above, look for the magnifying glass and left click to change the zoom options from the Zoom dialog box. The default options are: 75; 100; and 200%