(From the Association of College and Research Libraries - Residency Interest Group)
- Which aspects of Asterios’ personality are redeemable? Which are irredeemable? Is there some kind of theme here? For example, how might this tie into the notion of duality?
- What did you think of the artwork? His use of color? What is conveyed by both his style and use of color, if anything?
- In what way does his style deviate from others you’re familiar with? In what ways is his style similar to others you’re familiar with?
- Would you say Mazzucchelli favored style over content? If so, how does this fit with the many metaphors in the book? Or doesn’t it?
- Asterios is a “paper architect” - a designer and not a builder. Is this a metaphor for something? Could we apply this as a metaphor to other aspects of Asterios’ life?
- What is the dynamic between Hana and Asterios? In what ways does their relationship work? In what ways doesn’t it?
- You could spend quite a bit of time trying to tease out all of the metaphor, symbolism, and references to other works in this book. What did you notice?