Local History Links
For databases that allow access at home, please use your HKDPL Card for access. All other databases can be accessed in either of our branches.
This page has been created to serve as a guide for researching the local history of Haverstraw, New York and the surrounding North Rockland area.
Haverstraw Village was founded in 1666, but the village, then known as Florus Falls and also as Waynesburgh, wasn't legally established until March 11, 1854, as the Village of Warren, named after Joseph Warren, a Revolutionary War hero. Under an act of the state legislature the name of the village was changed to "Haverstraw" on April 14, 1874.
The precinct of Haverstraw was created in 1719 when it was separated from Orangetown. Haverstraw then included the present day towns of Clarkstown, Ramapo and Stony Point. Haverstraw became a town in 1788. Within the Town of Haverstraw are two complete villages and a portion of another: The Village of Haverstraw, the Village of West Haverstraw, and a portion of the Village of Pomona. The Town also has two hamlets, Garnerville and Thiells.
Here you will find resources on local history and genealogy. Please click on the tabs and links that interest you to find more details about library resources and research tools.
The Thomas F.X. Casey Local History Room
The Thomas F.X. Casey Local History Room was dedicated on May 2, 2010, in honor of Thomas Francis Xavier Casey. He was the keeper of important moments in Rockland's history who carefully chronicled key events and shared his knowledge with generations of Rocklanders.
A teacher by trade, he spent forty-one years working in the North Rockland Central School District. He served as Haverstraw's town historian for more than three decades, was president of the board of the Haverstraw Kings Daughter's Public Library, served as president and senior historian of the Historical Society of Rockland County, was the chairman of the Rockland County Preservation Board, and was the Rockland Conuty Historian for many years.
We strive to carry on his tradition of knowledge and history.
Newspapers on Microfilm
Rockland County Times The Rockland County Times was founded in 1888 and is the offical newspaper of Rockland County. It is available on microfilm for the following date ranges:
1900 - 1939
1941 - 1947
1953 - 1970
We archive a copy of the newspapers as well. Please call the library for newspapers printed after 1970.
The Journal News The Journal News was created through a merger of three area newspapers, including the Rockland Journal News. It is available on microfilm for the following date ranges:
1945 - 1990
1991 - present
We archive print copies of the newspaper for three months until the microfilm copy is recieved.
The New York Times The New York Times has been published continuously since 1851. It is available on microfilm for the following date ranges:
1971 - present
Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library
10 West Ramapo Rd 85 Main St
Garnerville, NY 10923 Haverstraw, NY 10927
(845) 786-3800 (845) 429-3445
These family histories are available in our Local History Room: