Hear that? Awesome Audio Books from the Children's Room: Home
Why listen to an Audio Book?
The many benefits of listening to audio book, with or without the original text, include:
- Increases enjoyment of reading.
- Increase concentration skills.
- Increase vocabulary and pronunciation.
- Many recording have sound effects, skilled readers with entertaining voices or multiple readers.
- Models accurate fluency of reading with expressive tones.
- Audio learners will remember the story better.
- Provides access to books above a reader's level.
Click on the blue tabs above to see a listing of books in audio format under the specific genre:
- Easy & Early Chapter Books: For those first learning to read, Easy Books have short sentences and simple words. As a reader gets more comfortable, these shorter chapter books are the perfect next step.
- Action / Adventure / Mystery: Excitement with danger, suspense, and crime solving puzzles. Find everything from funny and fast paced to survival tales.
- Animals: Furry or Scaly, Fun or Scary, these books are for the animal lover.
- Humor / Sports / Realistic Fiction: Stories of every-day boys and girls, with a section on funny stories and other books where a sport plays a major roll in the story.
- Fantasy / Sci-fi / Scary: Magic, magical creatures, aliens, time travel,and some books that are a little spooky.
- Historical Fiction: Step back in time to hear stories that take place long ago. Includes Classics!
- PlayAways: are a special device with the book already loaded onto to. Provide your own AAA battery and earbuds and listen where ever you go!
PLEASE NOTE: Some books fall into multiple genres but were only placed into one on this list. So you might find a book with a little magic in the Action or Classics section or a historical book under Animals. Have fun browsing!
Hover over the "i" for a description of each book.
Each title is linked to our catalog so you can see if it is checked-in. Every effort was made to include the physical book, other books in the series, downloadable audio books, and even movies, but this was not possible for all links. Look for the audio/ Book on CD icon for the actual book.
DISCLAIMER: This is not a complete listing. The first book in a series is listed. If one author has many books in audio under the same genre, only one or two will be posted.
Haverstraw King's Daughters Public Library card holders have 2 (that's TWO) ways to check-out audio books (movies, TV shows, music and Ebooks too). Whereever you have internet access, onto any of your personal devices, you can stream or download from thousands of choices. With automatic returns, you will never have a late fee. You will need to create an account and download the free apps onto your device or view through an internet browser. There are custom settings for accounts, ability to bookmark titles for future or place a request on checked titles. Use your library barcode number (all 14 numbers without any spaces) and your pin is defaulted to the last four digits of your phone number. You can change your pin, renew books and place holds on physical material in libraries by logging into your account on our website.
YEP! THERE'S AN AWARD FOR THAT!
Here are some award winning and highly acclaimed audio books for superior production quality and superb reading in our collection. Some of these books are available in Overdrive to download onto your personal device for FREE!