1,000 Books Before Kindergarten: Home
We invite you to participate in this free program that encourages you to read 1,000 books to your child before he or she starts kindergarten. Sound difficult? If you read just one book a night, you’ll have read 365 books in a year. That’s 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years! And yes, you can repeat books!
Contact Children's Librarian Lara Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How it Works
1. Register your child at the Children’s Desk.
2. Pick up your first reading log for books 1-100. Each time you finish a book, color or cross out a picture.
3. When you’ve completed 100 books, bring your reading log to the Children’s Room and your child will receive a prize!
4. You will also receive the next reading log for books 101-200.
5. Your child will receive another special prize at 500 books and when he or she reaches 1,000!
Reading together is one of the strongest foundations of early literacy you can give to your child. By reading with you, they will learn to love reading, be introduced to new stories, and hear thousands of new vocabulary words. It is the most important thing you can do to prepare your child for kindergarten.